? on radiant heat ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a closer view

Attachments

• DSC01962.jpg
    DSC01962.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 159
hey I like your crib too , looks great

We went with a sun-room at our former home. It was facing south exactly 14 degrees 47 minutes off magnetic. It had glass on two different angles. Not nearly as nice looking as yours. Between the inability to heat it in the winter and the solar radiation in the summer it was only a two season room. After living with it for a few years I decided to make a change.

I demolished the room and in it's place I built a conventional framed structure with a 6/12 pitched roof perpendicular tt the wall of the house. I installed a 16 foot sliding door on the long (south) side with a beautiful, expensive, but useless eyebrow window over it and used conventional double hung windows on the sides. I was lucky that the windows in the upstairs of the house were in the right place and high enough to clear the pitched roof on the sun-room. In the roof there were two large skylights in the cathedral ceiling. We were able to heat the room with one 6 foot baseboard convector on each side. This made it a four season room. With the insulated ceiling and the vertical glass on the south side, I was just getting the sun when I needed it, which was in the winter. When the sun was high in the summer it was pretty well shaded. Finished the interior with tongue and groove eastern white cedar and it became the room .everyone was drawn to.

We were able to go out there in the winter, open the slider, which opened a full 8 feet from the center, open the skylights and use the hot tub with the feeling we were outside without having to tramp through snow. After the hot tub session we could close it up and the room would recover in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.