One-handed action?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
No, not that!!....

Due to a motorcycle accident back in the day, I am missing my right arm at the elbow. On the up side, I was left-handed to begin with. So, as far as function goes- imagine you had Krazy-glue on the fingers of your non-dominant hand and grabbed your earlobe on that side; that's pretty much how I roll- I can use right arm to, say, hold a paper while I write but not a lot else.

Anyway, I got rid of my 20" chainsaw because I was really concerned about controlling a saw one-handed- I don't have too many more limbs to lose, you know?

I replaced it with a Homelite 14" electric saw, which is a lot lighter and easier to control, but it obviously cuts a lot less, and slower. And, of course, I'm tethered to an outlet.

Anyone have any thoughts on using a bigger saw one-handed? I know Stihl offers the MS192 or 200, but $500? OUCH!!!

The 192t about 300.00 It is a great saw. I am running a 14inch on it. I am not afraid to run it in some pretty big stuff. One handed I would prefer the 192t it is alot lighter than the 200. Worth every penny! Echo 330 and 360t are nice top handle saws as well.

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 405
I'm not debating that a Stihl would be a great saw, and is probably worth the $496 or whatever the MSRP on the 192 is.

I'm more asking about using it one-handed... this is more a safety and usability question than anything else.

bluedogz said:
I'm not debating that a Stihl would be a great saw, and is probably worth the $496 or whatever the MSRP on the 192 is.

I'm more asking about using it one-handed... this is more a safety and usability question than anything else.

192t would be easier to handle one handed. I do it all the time. Thats what I bought it for to start with and handles much more than I was expecting. So, 300.00 for a 192t is a great deal given all it can do. The 200t was out of my price range for a small saw. (given that its heavier I went with the cheaper 192t)

I look at the 192t like a one handed ms180!

Well arborists use top-handle saws one-handed all the time. That's the main reason for their existence. Of course they're pros, and it can't really be quite as safe as with 2 hands, but in your situation I'd say go for it. I don't see it being any more dangerous than using your electric. I also don't see how you'd be able to use a regular rear-handled saw without a special prosthesis...
As Jay stated the 192T should be in the $300 range not $496.

midwestcoast said:
Well arborists use top-handle saws one-handed all the time. That's the main reason for their existence. Of course they're pros, and it can't really be quite as safe as with 2 hands, but in your situation I'd say go for it. I don't see it being any more dangerous than using your electric. I also don't see how you'd be able to use a regular rear-handled saw without a special prosthesis...
As Jay stated the 192T should be in the $300 range not $496.

My bad- My arborist over-guesstimated the price.

You're right about the prosthesis. Trouble there is that medical insurance rarely covers such devices, which is why I generally go without. Further, even with a pros, it would do little but maybe prevent kickback if I could get a good connection to the crossbar. Even that would require modification or customization- see above.

I'm collecting opinions because the arborists I know pretty much all stamped their feet and said I was not to buy a 192 under any circumstances; however, I was unclear how much of their advice was relevant and how much was "I'm a professional and you're not."

Maybe I should check the rental places and see if I can rent one for a day or two....

If you can run a circular saw one handed and ever felt it kick-back its the same. Muscle memory takes over in split second. The kick back is not violent like in big saws. Its that chest height you do not want to do! I will wear a ppe shirt if I am in that deep. Start small like bucking small limbs on the ground and take your time with proper "PPE"!

"On the ground" is all I am talking about! I have no intention of climbing. If the limbs are above my head that job gets outsourced... I am WAY more safety-conscious than ever before. Guess why?

I am just trying to assure I don't create an unforseen danger with an expensive saw.

bluedogz said:
"On the ground" is all I am talking about! I have no intention of climbing. If the limbs are above my head that job gets outsourced... I am WAY more safety-conscious than ever before. Guess why?

I am just trying to assure I don't create an unforseen danger with an expensive saw.

Your working below the waist and you can run a circular saw, you going to LOVE IT! Wear chaps and steel toes and have a blast! I DO.

I don't remember the name of the TV show (it was on with Discovery or TLC), but it was about a few logging companies out in Oregon, as I recall. Anyhow, one of the owners ran a saw with a prosthetic, something that he geared up. He looked to be quite comfortable operating the saw....

CaddyUser said:
I don't remember the name of the TV show (it was on with Discovery or TLC), but it was about a few logging companies out in Oregon, as I recall. Anyhow, one of the owners ran a saw with a prosthetic, something that he geared up. He looked to be quite comfortable operating the saw....

Axmen he runs 660 and a 880 one handed. I would not advise it though...He has forgotten more than most will ever know. :lol:

Axe Men is an awesome show, but also made me think about what can REALLY be done one-handed and what can't. To agree with SmokinJay, as a motorcycle rider and racer, I was very comfortable doing things that were ABSURDLY dangerous and shouldn't be attempted by every schmo with a Suzuki. Some of those things I even do one-handed... but I'd warn any rookie not to try them with one hand or two.

I have no intention of trying to be a log-cutting superman. As far as I'm concerned, this is a safety discussion. I like the idea of keeping things below the waist- that's where most of my work is done anyway.

I've seen a couple of top handled mccullochs on eBay and CL for under 150, but haven't felt the need recently to check it out for myself.

CaddyUser said:

His name is Jay Browning.

Fifelaker said:
I don't think chaps will stop an electric saw.

No they will not! Electrics generate much more torque than a gas powered saw.

bluedogz said:

If you are confident and know how to run a saw safely, then a top handle can be run with one hand. I ran mine that way all day last saturday and I'm still here. I concentrated on always keeping my body clear of the saws potential kickback area at all times and then watched very closely to take all possible precautions to ensure the saw would not kickback to begin with.

You by no means need to spend $500 on a stihl. There are some other nice saws out there around the $300 mark. I picked up a used 335XPT with 150 lbs. of compression and am really wondering right now why I own any other saws under 60cc's. With the low pro chain it cuts like a little demon.

HittinSteel said:
bluedogz said:

If you are confident and know how to run a saw safely, then a top handle can be run with one hand. I ran mine that way all day last saturday and I'm still here. I concentrated on always keeping my body clear of the saws potential kickback area at all times and then watched very closely to take all possible precautions to ensure the saw would not kickback to begin with.

You by no means need to spend $500 on a stihl. There are some other nice saws out there around the $300 mark. I picked up a used 335XPT with 150 lbs. of compression and am really wondering right now why I own any other saws under 60cc's. With the low pro chain it cuts like a little demon.

FINALLY YOU HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! :lol:

MasterMech said:
Fifelaker said:
I don't think chaps will stop an electric saw.

No they will not! Electrics generate much more torque than a gas powered saw.

Awww but still should slow it down much quicker than say Shot pants. These chaps with that Kevlar going ever where should give you at least a better reaction time.

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
bluedogz said:

Sold the 55 last night and have a 262XP on it's way.

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
bluedogz said:

Sold the 55 last night and have a 262XP on it's way.

Dont know huskys. What is it?

62cc, 4.8 HP, 12.8 lbs......... a factory hot rod from the past. One of the best power/weight ratios

HittinSteel said:
If you are confident and know how to run a saw safely, then a top handle can be run with one hand.

"Confident" will come with time, I think.

"Safely": The irony here is that in previous higher-risk activities like motorcycles and guns, I've been kind of a safety Nazi. I've kept safe up to now simply by thinking, "What if this goes toes-up on me?" before pulling the trigger. Also, while using any of my saws I have never had that, "Wow- good thing THAT didn't go bad..." experience like I have on motorcycles.

So, I understand to keep clear of the plane of the cut, keep the saw maintained, have an escape route- all that stuff.

My big worry was, say, the saw kicking back and nailing me in the face and me not being able to stop it... something like that.

I think you will be fine....... there is usually an imaginary line where the saw can kickback. Keep your body (and face) out of that line and cut some wood! Good luck man.

Status
Not open for further replies.