One-handed action?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bluedogz said:
HittinSteel said:
If you are confident and know how to run a saw safely, then a top handle can be run with one hand.

"Confident" will come with time, I think.

"Safely": The irony here is that in previous higher-risk activities like motorcycles and guns, I've been kind of a safety Nazi. I've kept safe up to now simply by thinking, "What if this goes toes-up on me?" before pulling the trigger. Also, while using any of my saws I have never had that, "Wow- good thing THAT didn't go bad..." experience like I have on motorcycles.

So, I understand to keep clear of the plane of the cut, keep the saw maintained, have an escape route- all that stuff.

My big worry was, say, the saw kicking back and nailing me in the face and me not being able to stop it... something like that.

Working below the waist No chance! Chest high you need a helmet and a cut shirt (below the waist chaps and steel toes). You have to break down what your cutting and how you will be cutting it. Arobist work on the reach and mostly chest high. If you have ever had a saw kick back its instinct very quickly. Pratice it and know what your up against. Top handle is a very low cc and not real strong kick back.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/37xodIuufaQ[/youtube]

bluedogz said:
Axe Men is an awesome show, but also made me think about what can REALLY be done one-handed and what can't. To agree with SmokinJay, as a motorcycle rider and racer, I was very comfortable doing things that were ABSURDLY dangerous and shouldn't be attempted by every schmo with a Suzuki. Some of those things I even do one-handed... but I'd warn any rookie not to try them with one hand or two.

I have no intention of trying to be a log-cutting superman. As far as I'm concerned, this is a safety discussion. I like the idea of keeping things below the waist- that's where most of my work is done anyway.

Lord forgive me for this one . . . but I can't help myself when someone just lays one wide open like this one . . .

We are talking about cutting wood still, right? . . . ;) :)

author="firefighterjake" date="1319059316We are talking about cutting wood still, right? . . . ;) :)

Boy, talk about leading with my chin.

Status
Not open for further replies.