one heat exchangers v. two

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klolasvegas

Mar 4, 2015
maine
I purchased a hawken gx-10 outdoor wood boiler in the fall of 2014. I was told I would consume roughly 5 cord of wood and only have to fill the unit 1-2 times a day. I actually have burned 9 cord of wood and cant go longer then 6 hours on a load of wood. When the unit was installed, I had purchased 2 heat exchangers. One was for my domestic hot water. The installer said I did not need the heat exchanger for the hot water and he sent it back to the company. I have complained to the company about the minimal burn time on a load of wood and they feel it is because I didn't use the second heat exchanger. can anyone tell me, would the second heat exchanger really help save on wood and give me a longer burn time?

It seems to me if you added another heat exchanger for hot water your load would increase, therefore more wood. Boiler salesmen can be like used car salesmen when it comes to embellishing the facts, maybe they tested the boiler in Florida. If you can draw a diagram of your system and give the model of the boiler you will get some help on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.