One last fire/ odor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Thought I was done a month and a half ago, but I decided to fire it up one more time to take the chill off tonight. My stove smells funny again like it is seasoning. It is the first year I am burning it and used it straight for two months. Could it still get a seasoning smell after sitting for a while?

Does it smell like paint or just something burning? Maybe dust burning off?

Can't really put my finger on it. I think it is a combination. I dusted it with cleaner a while back maybe it is that...

ironically enough. i did the same thing, except my stove was not running for a week.
it smelled like paint or something i cant put my finger on.
i was a bit concerned as for whatever reason it was burning very hot last night...
i would say it is the paint. my stove is new, but has been used for 6 months now

Definitely you will always get an odor the first time after the stove hasn't burned for a while. Like BeGreen stated, it is usually just some light dust that has settled on the stove and pipe. It is very short lived.

Thanks everybody! The smell did subside after a while.

BeGreen said:
Does it smell like paint or just something burning? Maybe dust burning off?

My guess would be dust burning off . . . I get this sometimes . . . only usually it's when the oil boiler kicks on after not having it on all winter long . . . that's when I realize I either need to get a fire going in the woodstove or turn the thermostat down even lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.