1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

One loose bathroom tile

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Hogwildz, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I have 12" I think ceramic tiles on the bathroom floor downstairs.
    1 tile is loose on one corner of the tile. About 2" of grout on each side of that corner cracked and the top layer came loose. I tried to just re-grout the missing area. But of course, that re-cracked. Short of grinding the grout around that tile out and re adhering the tile & re-grouting, has anyone had a similar experience and had any luck somehow injecting a glue, epoxy or adhesive under a corner like this? I am trying to avoid having to remove the grout from completely around this one tile and lifting the tile out to re-adhere.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    Clear silicone and press in.............then wipe off.

I saw this on TV last night, it not only works as a sealer but also adhesive.

Robbie
  3. Hogwildz

Loc:
    Hmm, intersting, what about the grout? It won't adhere to the silicone will it?
  4. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Hogz, if that tile is loose and has any movement in that area, the grout will just keep cracking. What you need to do is stop the movement in the tile. Unfortunately, that prolly means taking the tile up and re-adhere it. Then you can re-grout and shouldn't have any problems.

The silicone trick works great on wall tile that doesn't get any traffic.
  5. ddmoit

ddmoit New Member

Hogwildz,

You would do well to post your tile question on the John Bride tile forum. You'll get quick, friendly, and sound advice.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php?

My first thought is that fixing that one tile is really only dealing with a symptom of what may be a larger problem.

Your silicone concern is legitimate too. I don't know of anything that will stick to cured silicone - not even silicone will.
  6. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    I will second the JB tile forum suggestion - they look to do for tile what the Hearth does for wood burners...

Seem like good people on a quality site. Only thing about it that is a wee pain is they won't let new posters mention anything that looks like a URL for the first five posts. Was really frustrating when I was trying to intro myself and tell where I was coming from, and ended up with "I wrote a Wiki article I can't point at, on a site I can't mention..." :coolhmm:

Once that is over things are easier, and they've given me a bit of good advice that I've carried back to this forum.

Gooserider
  7. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Did the house come with some extrs tiles, just in case?
  8. Hogwildz

Loc:
    No extra tiles I khow of, but HD has the same tiles in stock. For now this is going on bottom or project list for another day.
    Its one corner of one tile, to hell with it. I got other fish to fry.
    Thanks for the input though.
  9. SLK0217

SLK0217 New Member

Loc:
    South Central Nebraska
    No such thing as "one loose corner" on one of these kinda tiles, unless its the stuff underneath moving around, since thes is no give to the tile. Forget that silicone deal, it will be a mess you will say bad words about when you finally give up and try to reset and regrout the tile. If there is movement underneath, you got a real problem and shoulda put down sheet goods! Good luck, check the JB tileforum, they got as much wisdom there to share on tiles as these guys on hearth issues, and just as irreverant!
    SLK
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.