One loose bathroom tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
I have 12" I think ceramic tiles on the bathroom floor downstairs.
1 tile is loose on one corner of the tile. About 2" of grout on each side of that corner cracked and the top layer came loose. I tried to just re-grout the missing area. But of course, that re-cracked. Short of grinding the grout around that tile out and re adhering the tile & re-grouting, has anyone had a similar experience and had any luck somehow injecting a glue, epoxy or adhesive under a corner like this? I am trying to avoid having to remove the grout from completely around this one tile and lifting the tile out to re-adhere.

Hmm, intersting, what about the grout? It won't adhere to the silicone will it?

Hogz, if that tile is loose and has any movement in that area, the grout will just keep cracking. What you need to do is stop the movement in the tile. Unfortunately, that prolly means taking the tile up and re-adhere it. Then you can re-grout and shouldn't have any problems.

The silicone trick works great on wall tile that doesn't get any traffic.

Hogwildz,

You would do well to post your tile question on the John Bride tile forum. You'll get quick, friendly, and sound advice.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php?

My first thought is that fixing that one tile is really only dealing with a symptom of what may be a larger problem.

Your silicone concern is legitimate too. I don't know of anything that will stick to cured silicone - not even silicone will.

I will second the JB tile forum suggestion - they look to do for tile what the Hearth does for wood burners...

Seem like good people on a quality site. Only thing about it that is a wee pain is they won't let new posters mention anything that looks like a URL for the first five posts. Was really frustrating when I was trying to intro myself and tell where I was coming from, and ended up with "I wrote a Wiki article I can't point at, on a site I can't mention..." :coolhmm:

Once that is over things are easier, and they've given me a bit of good advice that I've carried back to this forum.

Gooserider

No extra tiles I khow of, but HD has the same tiles in stock. For now this is going on bottom or project list for another day.
Its one corner of one tile, to hell with it. I got other fish to fry.
Thanks for the input though.

No such thing as "one loose corner" on one of these kinda tiles, unless its the stuff underneath moving around, since thes is no give to the tile. Forget that silicone deal, it will be a mess you will say bad words about when you finally give up and try to reset and regrout the tile. If there is movement underneath, you got a real problem and shoulda put down sheet goods! Good luck, check the JB tileforum, they got as much wisdom there to share on tiles as these guys on hearth issues, and just as irreverant!
SLK

Status
Not open for further replies.