One more Question Help with Clearances for Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmarazita

Jun 15, 2011
Southern California
Hello,

I just purchased an Englander 30NC, after much research on this site......thanks! I assumed that I had plenty of room for clearances and a large enough protected pad size, but the manual is confusing for me. I am hoping to get some help from the group.

As you see in the picture (with the old stove), there is a raised brick hearth that is 55" wide and is 53" deep. The back wall is fully protected with brick. On the other side of that brick is a combustible wall made from logs. The pipe vents through the wall and then turns 90 degrees upward continuing to above the second story of the cabin.

Here is what I don't understand:
The manual states I need floor protection of a minimum of 39" wide and 52.5" deep. I am good there.
It is the "clearance to combustibles" table that I don't understand. This table is broken into "unprotected" and "protected" surfaces. Would I use the "unprotected" or the "protected" clearances? Or, since there is a brick lining the back wall, can I get the stove as close as I want to that surface?

Also, all of the diagrams in the manual show the stove pipe (as it exits the top of the stove) must be 16" away from the back wall. Does this apply in my situation as well?

I am very new to all of this. Hopefully, this question makes sense.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Attachments

• Cabin 004.jpg
    Cabin 004.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 345
I was under the impression that if you had the rear heat shield installed, then you use the "protected" clearances. I may be wrong though. BrotherBart is the Englander expert and should be around shortly to clarify. You've purchased a great stove. I have one sitting in storage awaiting install.

It is an NFPA 211 protected surface. 3½" of masonry covering a combustible wall, without a ventilated airspace, buys you a 33% reduction in required Clearance To Combustibles in the case of a stove without manufacturer's documentation. In the case of the NC 30, you've got a UL listed, EPA certified appliance with manufacturer's documentation, so it's Englander's numbers in the owner/install manual that count. I'm looking at it:

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/30-NC.pdf

and the clearance table on page 5 shows some very close CTC's, IMHO. I think the stove comes with a rear heat shield standard (correct me if I'm wrong). With that installed, and by adding the side heat shields, you can go as close as 8" from the rear heat shield to the brick using single-wall connector pipe, and clear down to 5" with double-wall. In either case, the flue connector will be 2" farther from the wall, just because of the way the stove's built. If I was concerned about clearances, I'd get all three heat shields on it and plan to use double-wall stovepipe. Rick

Actually, looking at the manual, so long as you have all the factory heat shields installed on the stove, it doesn't matter that the wall is protected...the CTC's are the same either way. In any case...no, you are not free to just put the stove as close to that back wall as you want. Brick is a pretty dang good conductor of heat. You have to use Englander's documentation to define the minimum distance, and then make sure that you meet or exceed that requirement.

Thanks for the info Rick. That makes it much more clear.

Two more questions....

My installation requires that the stove pipe comes out of the 30NC at 6" and then goes into a 8" inlet in the wall (due to an 8" chimney). The 30NC manual states that this is fine.

1. When ordering stove pipe parts, would I order a "reducer" (to reduce the 8" pipe to 6" stove outlet) or an "increaser" (to increase the 6" stove outlet to 8" pipe)? I think the difference is which end the crimping is on.
2. Where would the best place be to put this reducer/increaser? At the stove outlet or where the pipe enters the back wall?

Thanks again!
Bill

wmarazita said:
Thanks for the info Rick. That makes it much more clear.

Two more questions....

My installation requires that the stove pipe comes out of the 30NC at 6" and then goes into a 8" inlet in the wall (due to an 8" chimney). The 30NC manual states that this is fine.

1. When ordering stove pipe parts, would I order a "reducer" (to reduce the 8" pipe to 6" stove outlet) or an "increaser" (to increase the 6" stove outlet to 8" pipe)? I think the difference is which end the crimping is on.
2. Where would the best place be to put this reducer/increaser? At the stove outlet or where the pipe enters the back wall?

Thanks again!
Bill

I believe you need the increaser. You can order them online from several different vendors.

I think I'd come out of the stove and up and over to the thimble with 6", and install an increaser there. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.