One more reason to hate a furnace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade A.

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
South
True story.

I bought my current house about 4 years ago (1960's vintage ranch, with major update renov), and ripped out the gas log insert last year to build the hearth, surround, and to install the Jotul. So, I'm liking that that my winter heating bills have been slashed roughly by 50%, the bottom of that not being reached only due to a lack of ability to stockpile wood last summer while handling all the other chores. At least that was what I thought until recently. This coming winter, I'm really going all in. Anyway, so I'm sitting and looking at the hot air registers for my HVAC vents, which are mounted on the ceiling, ducting coming through the attic. Hmm, I'm wondering (Ever notice how much unplanned labor starts with that thought?) how well are those ducts sealed around the vent openings. So I take one down to take a look. As it turns out, the answer is: "Not too damned well at all." Frankly, I'm wondering how any heat/cool actually made it into the living space. I took down all 14 of them and found anywhere from a 1/4" to 3/4" gap on almost all edges in the rought opening. To make matters worse, bubba siliconed each register to the ceiling, I guess just to make sure that as much air as possible would be blown back up into the attic. That and because he secured the vents only up through the sheetrock, the openings not being framed out or anything. I had to invent a device out of plywood clips to get those suckers back up after spending a joyous weekend spraying foam and taping the openings to some approxmation of airtight.

Word up, if you think your stove is heating well now, check your building envelope, especially the ceiling.

Next up: Recessed light fixtures. Modern convenience, or spawn of the Devil?

And you just know by the silicone that someone thought that was going to help. It did help..heat the attic.

It is just too hilarious, in a tragic sort of way. You can appreciate why and how we could cut our entire energy consumption in this country by 30% by just picking the low hanging fruit.

BTW, I don't know if any of y'all have ever seen this resource, but his is the mack-daddy of all construction references, and with a great section on fireplaces and chimneys: http://www.inspectapedia.com/

ploughboy said:
It is just too hilarious, in a tragic sort of way. You can appreciate why and how we could cut our entire energy consumption in this country by 30% by just picking the low hanging fruit.BTW, I don't know if any of y'all have ever seen this resource, but his is the mack-daddy of all construction references, and with a great section on fireplaces and chimneys: http://www.inspectapedia.com/

I LOVE that comment! We have numerous grand-children. There are 3 little girls under the age of 5. They love to 'help' Grandma pick the apples off our tree. They asked my why I don't pick the apples that are 'up tall' on the tree. (The real reason is Granny's not too cool on a ladder - but don't tell them!) I just tell the girls Granny leaves the 'up tall' apples so the angels can reach down for a snack. :)

Franks said:
And you just know by the silicone that someone thought that was going to help. It did help..heat the attic.
Which, in turn, helped build the ice dams!

ploughboy said:
True story. Many chapters.

I bought my current house about [insert#] years ago Anyway, so I'm sitting and looking at [insert practically anything] Hmm, I'm wondering (Ever notice how much unplanned labor starts with that thought?)

. . . not until you'd pointed it out.

recesed light are the spawn of satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.