One Source For The "Green Burns Better Than Dry" Myth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
I just picked up a used "The Elm" stove made by Vermont Iron Works. They really intrigue me--I think they're gorgeous and I love the Pyrex pie plate for the window.......I'm looking forward to "restoring" it and getting it burning.

Anyway, I bought it from the original owner who still had the owner's manual, sales brochures, etc. In reading through the OM I came across this section: "Greenwood vs. Drywood" In part it states:

"It is not always true that the drier the fuel the less creosote will form in your chimney. In a report, 'Creosote and Wood Moisture Content' by Dr. Jay Shelton, it is shown that wood fuel with a moisture content below 15-20% will actually increase (in some cases) the amount of creosote accumulation. The reason for this is that since dry wood requires less air for combustion, people will turn down the air controls down and severely restrict the air flow. On the other hand, stove operators know green wood usually requires a substantial amount of air to burn so they open up the air controls. When air controls are opened up the incoming rush of air will do three things; 1. It will draw heat up the chimney thus creating a warmer flue, 2. It will dilute the smoke, 3. it will force the smoke to pass through the flue quickly. All three of these conditions will aid in preventing smoke from condensing on the inside of the flu."

I'm not sure of the date on the manual but my Elm stove was made in 1984, and they had catalytic models available then too, so it's not like the idea of stove efficiency was off the table..........still an interesting passage that may go a long way towards explaining why so many people stubbornly still believe that green wood is "better."

NP

Bad title. What you quoted does not support “Green Burns Better Than Dry”, it only makes mention of creosote. You used the quote like a drunken man uses a lamp post, for support rather than illumination.

Some really stupid things get put in manuals. Almost like one person writes it and sends it out to be printed without anyone else even reading it.

LLigetfa said:
Bad title. What you quoted does not support “Green Burns Better Than Dry”, it only makes mention of creosote. You used the quote like a drunken man uses a lamp post, for support rather than illumination.

To be fair I think he was only telling us about his odd find, not arguing for the myth. Information like this would explain the persistence of the myth. Its alive and well in my holler.

This truly sounds like a case of operator error more than an issue with dry wood versus green wood.

Bootlegger said:
LLigetfa said:

To be fair I think he was only telling us about his odd find, not arguing for the myth. Information like this would explain the persistence of the myth. Its alive and well in my holler.
+1

What this is represents the evidence that whoever had that manual printed don't know squat. However, part of what is printed is very true.

"When air controls are opened up the incoming rush of air will do three things; 1. It will draw heat up the chimney thus creating a warmer flue, 2. It will dilute the smoke, 3. it will force the smoke to pass through the flue quickly."

They are correct in that opening up the draft draws heat up the chimney and they are right that it will force the smoke to pass through the flue quickly. Naturally this will happen.....as most of the heat which is created by the fire goes up the chimney rather than giving heat to the home. And can't people understand that the faster they have to put wood in the stove, the faster their woodpile shrinks too. Why go to all that work so that you can send the heat up the chimney? It just does not make sense. Also, having to leave the draft open further, what happens if someone puts in some dry wood (maybe cut some dead)? Leave the draft open and overheating becomes a possible problem.

All in all, that part of the manual is pure baloney.

LLigetfa said:

So, it's your turn to stick your foot in your mouth? Mine was three weeks ago.

He wasn't claiming the term was fact, but where the myth might have originated from.

Nonprophet said:
I just picked up a used "The Elm" stove made by Vermont Iron Works. They really intrigue me--I think they're gorgeous and I love the Pyrex pie plate for the window.......I'm looking forward to "restoring" it and getting it burning.

Anyway, I bought it from the original owner who still had the owner's manual, sales brochures, etc. In reading through the OM I came across this section: "Greenwood vs. Drywood" In part it states:

"It is not always true that the drier the fuel the less creosote will form in your chimney. In a report, 'Creosote and Wood Moisture Content' by Dr. Jay Shelton, it is shown that wood fuel with a moisture content below 15-20% will actually increase (in some cases) the amount of creosote accumulation. The reason for this is that since dry wood requires less air for combustion, people will turn down the air controls down and severely restrict the air flow. On the other hand, stove operators know green wood usually requires a substantial amount of air to burn so they open up the air controls. When air controls are opened up the incoming rush of air will do three things; 1. It will draw heat up the chimney thus creating a warmer flue, 2. It will dilute the smoke, 3. it will force the smoke to pass through the flue quickly. All three of these conditions will aid in preventing smoke from condensing on the inside of the flu."

I'm not sure of the date on the manual but my Elm stove was made in 1984, and they had catalytic models available then too, so it's not like the idea of stove efficiency was off the table..........still an interesting passage that may go a long way towards explaining why so many people stubbornly still believe that green wood is "better."

NP

Just looked up the stove. Restored, they are pretty neat looking. Would make a great garage/barn stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.