One "Theory" On Why Ash Works So Well For Cleaning Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adios Pantalones said:
Well, 4 for the first one and another 4.5 for the second one. I mean- I use it at work, but the chemistry of cleaning woodstove glass- now that's scientifical
:lol: ;-)

I have a dollar that says cleaning the glass with ash in rubbing alcohol (rather than water) would work just as well. If so, then the "dissolving in water" argument fails to, (ahem), hold water. If I were at the cabin, with a cold stove, I'd try the experiment. My vote goes to abrasive, not lye.

laynes69 said:
you are exactly right! The more you leach the water through the ash, the stronger the lye becomes. I'm going to try making soap next year to see if I can do it 100% purchase free. I will make my own lye, use rendered fat from the deer we harvest, the only thing I have to figure out yet is the fragrance. I doubt the wife wants to smell like deer tallow......lol.....
Brought home some lye soap from Africa a few years back. All natural, all nasty :(

using a bit of the ash for cleaning the glass was one of the best tips I got from this great forum - especially with the bay door glass on the Osburn. I've been doing this for a couple years now. But reading this thread I'm now wondering if I'm gonna grow a 3rd eye or something...?

Status
Not open for further replies.