1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

one way to keep your wood pile from being stolen

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by eernest4, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eernest4

eernest4 New Member

Loc:
    ct
    Install a motion sensor with a light and a 110 volt alarm, horn or klaxon. Anyone comes near the wood pile & you get lights and noise, just dont forget to install an off/on switch inside the house, so that you can get your wood and reset the alarm at 3am when the neighborhood cat pays a visit.

The sensitivity and duration of the motion sensor should be adjustable, because you would probably want the noise to stop after 1 minute & wouldn't want passing cars to set it off.

So pay attention to this when selecting your motion sensor.

A 12volt alarm can also be used with a door bell transformer. You don't need a car alarm, any noise producing electric devise can be used, even a door bell if it is loud enough.
    If you do use a car alarm in order to get a loud noise maker, the cheapest one that is loud enough, will suffice.

Try radio shack & see what they got.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Is this a big problem for anyone? Never gave it moment's consideration myself, but I guess with winter approaching and high unemployment and high energy costs this could start being an issue. From my perspective, wood is a very noisy and cumpersome thing to steal enough of to make it worth your time to steal it. You're dealing either with heavy logs or an awful lot of splits and its hard to load any of that up into anything big enough to haul it away quietly. You're gonna wake me up...and my dog too.
  3. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    See this thread: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41305/
  4. BigV

BigV Member

Loc:
    Akron, OH
    The only problem I have with my wood being stolen is my next door neighbor uses it to burn in his outdoor fire pit. He also happens to be my younger brother. I have had numerous conversations with him, but he thinks I won't miss 10 or 12 pieces from time to time. It would be a different story if he helped split, stack or haul wood once in a while...
  5. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Tell Mom on him.
  6. atomichawg

atomichawg New Member

Loc:
    central virginia
    Chain this to your wood pile. Should discourage any thieves.

Attached Files:

7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Just what I need. Every cat, dog, raccoon and squirrel waking me up by setting off the alarm.
  8. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Shoot first, ask questions later! :lol:
  9. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    cat
    dog
    raccoon
    squirrel
    deer
    hawk
    skunk
    possum
    and
    even branches swaying in the wind will set one off
  10. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    This thread makes me happy that I live in the middle of nowhere(sorta)....just have to chase out the teens "parking" once in awhile!
  11. Hurricane

Hurricane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I had my neighbor offer me some logs he had from having trees taken down. He is a wood burner ( sort of ) too. I had the feeling he just did not want to cut split it so I turned it down. He gave it to some other guy who cut split it. Later in the winter he ran out of wood because he does not cut split, he buys and all of the suppliers were out of seasoned wood. He came over one day and half jokingly said he was going to back up his truck and take a load of wood because I had so much wood. I told him straight up there are two ways to get wood buy it or cut split it. And there is a sure way to get shot which was taking my wood. He looked for the little smile in my face that never appeared.
    I told him never mess with a guys wood. The next day he went to the guy who took the wood and got a PU truck load from him. I saw it coming and ducked it.
    I have two large dogs that roam my property and the boxer is pretty mean when people show up unexpectedly so I am OK I think.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.