one way to keep your wood pile from being stolen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eernest4

Oct 22, 2007
ct
netzero.com
Install a motion sensor with a light and a 110 volt alarm, horn or klaxon. Anyone comes near the wood pile & you get lights and noise, just dont forget to install an off/on switch inside the house, so that you can get your wood and reset the alarm at 3am when the neighborhood cat pays a visit.

The sensitivity and duration of the motion sensor should be adjustable, because you would probably want the noise to stop after 1 minute & wouldn't want passing cars to set it off.

So pay attention to this when selecting your motion sensor.

A 12volt alarm can also be used with a door bell transformer. You don't need a car alarm, any noise producing electric devise can be used, even a door bell if it is loud enough.
If you do use a car alarm in order to get a loud noise maker, the cheapest one that is loud enough, will suffice.

Try radio shack & see what they got.

Is this a big problem for anyone? Never gave it moment's consideration myself, but I guess with winter approaching and high unemployment and high energy costs this could start being an issue. From my perspective, wood is a very noisy and cumpersome thing to steal enough of to make it worth your time to steal it. You're dealing either with heavy logs or an awful lot of splits and its hard to load any of that up into anything big enough to haul it away quietly. You're gonna wake me up...and my dog too.

mayhem said:
Is this a big problem for anyone? Never gave it moment's consideration myself, but I guess with winter approaching and high unemployment and high energy costs this could start being an issue. From my perspective, wood is a very noisy and cumpersome thing to steal enough of to make it worth your time to steal it. You're dealing either with heavy logs or an awful lot of splits and its hard to load any of that up into anything big enough to haul it away quietly. You're gonna wake me up...and my dog too.

See this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41305/

The only problem I have with my wood being stolen is my next door neighbor uses it to burn in his outdoor fire pit. He also happens to be my younger brother. I have had numerous conversations with him, but he thinks I won't miss 10 or 12 pieces from time to time. It would be a different story if he helped split, stack or haul wood once in a while...

Tell Mom on him.

Chain this to your wood pile. Should discourage any thieves.

Attachments

• mountain-lion.jpg
    mountain-lion.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 515
Just what I need. Every cat, dog, raccoon and squirrel waking me up by setting off the alarm.

cat
dog
raccoon
squirrel
deer
hawk
skunk
possum
and
even branches swaying in the wind will set one off

This thread makes me happy that I live in the middle of nowhere(sorta)....just have to chase out the teens "parking" once in awhile!

I had my neighbor offer me some logs he had from having trees taken down. He is a wood burner ( sort of ) too. I had the feeling he just did not want to cut split it so I turned it down. He gave it to some other guy who cut split it. Later in the winter he ran out of wood because he does not cut split, he buys and all of the suppliers were out of seasoned wood. He came over one day and half jokingly said he was going to back up his truck and take a load of wood because I had so much wood. I told him straight up there are two ways to get wood buy it or cut split it. And there is a sure way to get shot which was taking my wood. He looked for the little smile in my face that never appeared.
I told him never mess with a guys wood. The next day he went to the guy who took the wood and got a PU truck load from him. I saw it coming and ducked it.
I have two large dogs that roam my property and the boxer is pretty mean when people show up unexpectedly so I am OK I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.