1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

One year seasoned

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by mudbug250, Nov 27, 2012.

1. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    This wood has been seasoned exactly one year. Burning pretty good. This is 10 minutes after initial start. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354057705.622515.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Larry in OK

Larry in OK Member

Loc:
    NE Oklahoma
    What kind of wood is it?
    I cut a big ole Hack-berry in late March that was dripping from the saw cuts. Split and stacked all summer it runs under 15% now.
  3. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    I really could not tell ya. But it had puddles of water in the bed of my truck.
  4. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    It was straight grained and split like a charm. Had a sweet smell to it, thick gray bark. It had been down for a couple of months.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice fire
    Look like darn good fire wood to me :)
    Realstone likes this.
  6. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Thanks boggy. I have been impressed how well the year old wood has burned.
  7. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I'm burning Cherry that was still alive this time last year, in an EPA stove, it takes off like a rocket, and lasts for hours. Good job it does burn so well, because when that runs out I've only got oak and hickory that's 2 years split and most isn't ready yet.

TE
  8. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    It is a possibility that it was a white oak. I did split it all pretty small because I knew I was gonna have to burn it this year.
  9. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

It being an Open Fireplace, it will be more forgiving. A Woodstove/Insert will control the air flow and moisture will play a larger part.

My Open Fireplace will burn wood that my stove Pukes on :(

That still looks like a good burn though. No smoke. And that's always a good thing :)
    Realstone likes this.
  10. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    That's good to know. I cut one about a month ago. Never heard of a Dwarf Hackbery till I cut this one down. Now I see them everywhere.
  11. Larry in OK

Larry in OK Member

Loc:
    NE Oklahoma
    The one I cut sure wasn't a dwarf. I got a good 3/4 cord out of it and I left a couple big gnarly chunks I couldn't split. It had grown in a creek bottom and had washed out and fell. The land owner had drug it up ont eh level with his dozer for me.
  12. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    :)
    The one I cut was no dwarf either, and most of the dwarf hackberry's around here grow as large as the regular hackberry's
  13. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    This shouldn't be surprising. Most wood burns just fine after being split and stacked for a year.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Even oak will burn fine in an open fireplace that's no biggie. The EPA wood stoves don't burn it as will but still will burn it. Its a factor of air and how much oxygen it gets an open fireplace can get all the air it wants where a stove limits air to allow longer burn times and more efficient heat control.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    If it is oak that was only down a few months when you cut it a year ago I bet its still 35+%!
  16. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Compared to how most people burn around here my wood burns like fat wood. A guy called my mother in law the other day and wanted to sell her some wood. She has bought from them before. I saw these guys cutting the wood about a month ago. The split and stacked it and then covered with a tarp top to bottom. Most people have smoke bellowing out of there chimneys all the time.
  17. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Just for chits and giggles I threw a few of the hickory slivers from splitting last weekend and that stuff smoked something terrible.