1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Only cause my wife plays the banjo

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by daveswoodhauler, Nov 4, 2011.

1. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    If anyone is interested, there is a good BANJO show on PBS tonight at 9:00pm with Steve Martin.
    Wife picked up the banjo about 6 months ago and has been self teaching herself.....I have a violin/fiddle, and lets just say that I wish I would have picked an easier instrument to learn lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Man o man, thanks for the heads up. Bluegrass fanatic that I am, love what Steve Martin has accompolished as a picker. He and the Steep Canyon Rangers are always great.
  3. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

Is that radio or tv?
  4. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    "A Kazakh Melody" - Abigail Washburn - neat picking - here it is set to a video:

5. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    If that is the one on Austin city limits it is very good+ there is some classic steve Martin funny stuff in it.
  6. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Its was on TV on PBS. Was more of a "history" of the Banjo vs actually playing, but still pretty interesting
  7. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Fiddle's not that bad. I played guitar for a while, and my reasoning for switching was that there are two less strings and a much shorter fingerboard. You just have to get the bowing down.
  8. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Was intresting for sure. Although not alot of pickin, but what was there was really good.
  9. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Thanks for turning me on to Abigail Washburn. Good music there.
  10. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I watched it. It was cool. The "bass" player in my band also plays the banjo, and I have a great appreciation for the twang of the thing. Seen Bela Fleck a few times...not what you imagine when someone says "hey, listen to this guy play the banjo". I'm always impressed by how loud the banjo is too. Go Banjo! Recently saw the 6 string Banjotar (guitar meets banjo, has baby= banjotar)...may have to pic one up.
  11. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    Any of you guys ever hear of the Lonesome River Band? I love their banjo player, Sammy Shelor, he's awesome, and such a nice guy.

12. tickbitty

Loc:
    VA
  13. Fifi

Fifi New Member

Loc:
    Near Heathrow UK
    Since this seems to be the musical thread....I play harmonica......started with one.....now have lots on different keys....play in our local church band.

Fifi
  14. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
  15. tickbitty

Loc:
    VA
    Fifi, that's really cool, did you teach yourself?!

Granpajohn, thanks for the link!

If anybody liked the Lonesome River guys, they are on Letterman tonite.
  16. Fifi

Fifi New Member

Loc:
    Near Heathrow UK
    Nice banjo playing. Yeah I taught myself from internet and books, not many harmonica teachers around.

Fifi
  17. tickbitty

Loc:
    VA
    What kind do you play? Like, Neil Young or old-timey or ?

My sister tried to play when we were kids, was trying to learn from a record. She would play the record but just breathe in-out-in out on the harmonica and convinced herself she was playing what was on the record! LOL, it didn't last long...
    Come to think of it, I should get one of her kids a harmonica for Christmas!
  18. Fifi

Fifi New Member

Loc:
    Near Heathrow UK
    It depends which type of song, if I'm following the tune from a book I use a chromatic (with a slider can play every note in any key). If I'm blending in with the band and improvising I use diatonic in whatever key they are playing in to add effects. The songs are mostly modern Christian worship songs, occasionally an old fashioned hymn which suits the chromatic type playing. I've learned a few western type songs to just play around with such as the traditional Oh Suzanna, Oh my Darling Clementine stuff. I've heard some nice music from the group Alabama3 with some good harmoncia on and want to get round to trying to play along with some of that, not that I'm as good as them of course. I've had a go at playing along with some old harmonica greats blues CD's, again I'm not that good but I can blend in with them and try.

I've found Lee Oskar are a very good brand for the diatonics and I use a Seydel for the Chromatic, a non-valved one...I started on Hohner Chromatic but got through two and both of them the the valves got sticky after a while.

The cheap plastic brightly coloured Hohner diatonics work very well for starter ones, they used to come in packs of 4 but I think they are sold seperately now.

Fifi