Operating temperature inside the vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeEater

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2011
Northeastern NY
This question may be moot, but do any or have any of you guys out there measured the temperatures inside the operating pellet vent? I have a short piece of flue that's single walled and only 6 inches long on my pellet vent and have a magnetic flue thermometer on that section. When my Harmon PB105 is running at full output, I only get a reading of 200* on this thermometer. It is on a horizontal section and about 6 feet from the combustion fan. I haven't had any trouble since installation and have burned about 7 tons so far since last February. Just wondering if those numbers are in the "ball park" of where they should be.

Sounds about right to me...I can hold my hand in front of my exhaust when its burning...its an efficient stove

ESP controls exaust temp on our Harmans. I am running stainless out of stove up to the pellet venting and after 8 ft is down to around 175 taken with infared gauge.

Using a surface pyrometer on my Castile, I measure 160 degrees right at the exit of the combustion fan on Medium.

flue gases r 250-475 usually

Thanks to you, iceguy4, Bioburner, tjnamtiw, and rickwai, for your response. I was a little concerned with such low temps compared to the solid wood burners, knowing that the volatile gases will condense below 200* F. These pellet burners must combust all of those within the burn pot. Thanks again.

Hence the high burn efficiency, now the real trick is to capture that heat before it leaves the stove. Some may have a low exaust temp but blow alot of air out. I had 2 stoves side by side and there can be a major differance at what is put into the house with the same amount of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.