Opinions and facts on older non cat VC intrepid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesmoff

Hearth Supporter
Sep 12, 2008
Currently considering buying an older, I believe non cat Vermont Castings Intrepid- about 20 years old.
It appears to have been well maintained, all gaskets replaced recently.
I have a couple of questions-
Is this model a top load only?- I would be putting it in an existing fireplace, so accessing the top for loading might be an issue.
Also, I have read numerous things about Vermont Castings on this site, if I needed parts in the future might they be difficult to get?
Would switching it to rear vent be difficult if necessary?
Any other input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Unless I was buying an antique for display, I can't see any reason to buy a stove that old. I'd suggest taking advantage of the current tax credit and buy yourself a new stove... You'll more than save in the long run with wood, heat output, and reduced headaches.

Even with the tax credit, I don't have the money for a new stove.
My financial resources are limited, so I will be dealing exclusively with older stoves I guess-
I did find what appears to be an Englander 12 FP for the same price, but am unsure if that is worth it due to its 35 to 1 status and negative stuff I have read on this site regarding that type.
Thanks again!

Another thread mentioned the possibility of the tax credit applying to used stoves, assuming they are recent models that have the proper efficiency ratings. I'd consider that and look for a better quality used stove. As mentioned, if you get a junker now you'll end up burning more wood. Even if you cut your own wood, if you sold the extra wood you'd be wasting, in a few years you'd save the difference in stove costs. How long are you planning to burn wood in your current residence? If it's more than a few years, I'd really try to upgrade from the word go. Or you might be better off waiting til you can afford a better stove.

What's the state of your chimney? Is the flue lined?

I would pass on this stove . . . namely for the potential parts issue, although the age of the stove would also make me lean away from this as well. Pay a little less now may mean paying a lot more a little later . . . and a whole lot of frustration.

As Branchburner said . . . keep scouring the ads for a newer used stove that would qualify for the tax credit. You'll be happier in the long run with less wood burned and a more reliable woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.