1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Opinions of steel sheds !

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Pallet Pete, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. festerw

festerw Member

Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    I've got the same size and style shed you listed but with the vinyl coating, besides the door being low I like it. No leaks and it has held up against some pretty heavy snowfalls.
  3. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    They are all junk, build yourself a wood one..
    FrankMA likes this.
  4. bubbasdad

bubbasdad Member

Loc:
    Howell, Michigan.
    I built a wood one, pole barn style, a few years ago. Mine is 10x12. I had nearly 1K into it, but it will be there when I an worm food. The steel ones like that will last 20 years or so, by then they are pretty beat up or rusted.
  5. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I had a 10x8 version of that same shed at one time. It met its match in a nasty thunderstorm with high wind gusts that also brought down trees. It leaked in heavy rains also. I wasn't very impressed.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Thanks guys I am going to make one out of lumber thay don't sound very good.

Pete
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Good Call. Two of those in this neighborhood and they both have a collapsed roof from snowfall. My neighbor just rebuilt the roof on his from traditional materials.
  8. Trickle

Trickle New Member

Loc:
    East Central Missouri
    I have almost that exact one. Was there when we moved in. It's probably just over 20 years old, doors don't slide anymore, lots of rust holes, have to powerwash off mold, and the roof is only secured at one corner now. I only store outdoor stuff in it (baby pool, fencing, bricks, barrels, hoses) but I wouldn't put anything in it that I couldn't just leave in the backyard. In or out of the shed, either way the contents are still exposed to the elements. Plus there is no floor so they just become a haven for bugs and spiders. If you must buy a shed, buy one of the wood ones that are fully framed with roofing and a raised floor, then insulate it yourself depending on your need and locale. One of these days I'll trash the steel shed, probably when a storm takes it out.