Opinions Welcome - Economic, workhorse and just plain black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stevierenee22

Aug 14, 2023
North East Tennessee
lva.jpeg

Hello.
Coming out of lurking here in hopes to get feedback. The living room is about 14x24', the house is 1575 sq ft and ideally we just want a well working, non fussy, black looking stove for emergencies really. I did read that we should consider making up a template floor design with cardboard so we can really understand what a stove looks like and space between the wall, window.

If we needed it for emergencies, really we would just be ok with the living room heated but we could use a specific fan to direct the heat ( so I was told).
The lazyboy chair will be moved and the corner would be our choice. We would require the stove pipe up out of the ceiling vs the wall which I think is ok and standard? I have a budget of $4000.00 all in. Is this realistic? What do you think of a Timberwolf. Or any other ideas is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

PS: For some reason my living room photo came out long and distorted. Sorry:(

lvb.jpeg lvc.jpeg

Welcome!
Few questions for you...
-are you planning to hire out the project or are you handy and able to do it yourself?
-can you make a sketch of the rest of the house including the living room?

If you are looking for a no frills stove, check out Englander, Drolet and Century.

Welcome!
Few questions for you...
-are you planning to hire out the project or are you handy and able to do it yourself?
-can you make a sketch of the rest of the house including the living room?

If you are looking for a no frills stove, check out Englander, Drolet and Century.
My husband is handy. I would hire if it was a decent bid however. Yes I will make a sketch today.
Thanks for the stove recommendation. I appreciate that a lot.

Is that a window behind the recliner? I would suggest the stove be placed where the end table is next to the couch. Wouldnt want the stove in front of the window. The Vaulted ceiling will trap a lot of heat. That ceiling fan may help. Placing a fan in the doorway to the living room blowing in may help with heat making it out to the rest of the house.
That install looks like it would be straight forward. Pipe going straight up through the ceiling.

Is that a window behind the recliner? I would suggest the stove be placed where the end table is next to the couch. Wouldnt want the stove in front of the window. The Vaulted ceiling will trap a lot of heat. That ceiling fan may help. Placing a fan in the doorway to the living room blowing in may help with heat making it out to the rest of the house.
That install looks like it would be straight forward. Pipe going straight up through the ceiling.
Ohhh - okay, that is good information. Appreciate the input!