Opinions: What will inspector say if I insulate fireplace for an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucknut

Nov 7, 2014
Ohio
First time poster. Like others, I've learned tons from you guys and girls. Thanks.

My situation: I just got my permit to install my Lopi Freedom Bay. Local code doesn't get too specific as to stove/insert installs- just that the install must be done according to the manufacturer's instructions. But the Lopi manual says nothing about putting Roxul in my fireplace around the insert, or even installing a block-off plate. (Lopi requires a block off plate only in the case of a direct connect install, and I am installing a 6" insulated liner).

So am I asking for trouble if I insulate the insert and put in a block off plate, since Lopi mentions neither in their instructions? Seems silly, but if the inspector is relatively ignorant about stoves he might reasonably think that Roxul would lead to an overfire and fail the inspection. Or is there some industry literature/consensus on this topic which might influence his decision to let it stay? I don't want to have to un-install a (HEAVY!!!) insert and rip out new insulation and block off plate just because the inspector is unfamiliar with them.

Thanks!

Greetings. Is this an interior or exterior wall chimney? If interior I wouldn't bother. If exterior, ask the inspector in advance. A block off plate should be no issue but they may want approval from the stove maker for the fireplace insulation. Not all endorse this.

Status
Not open for further replies.