Opinions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
Been looking for a pellet stove to heat a portion of my home that can not be heated by our wood insert. Wanted a pellet stove for temperature control because we do not always occupy that section. It is about 500 sq feet so want to find a smaller stove.

I have noticed that the TSC stoves (USSC) do not receive much love on this board. I have also noticed they are priced about 1000 dollars less than most other stoves. I will be doing my own installation and very capable with a wrench. We have 20 foot chimney that I will line with flex then convert to pipe. I am a trained electrician so I should be fine with maintenance. I have been looking at used, but do not really know what warning signs to look for. Do we have a thread on what to look for with used stoves?

Regards,

Jon

Any small stove that you are willing to learn how to install, maintain, and operate will likely do. Do it yourself is fine but you have to be willing to really dig into the stove you buy and not expect anything in the way of support from where you bought the stove.

A lot of folks feel they can handle the job but too easily get frustrated or take shortcuts adding to their installation issues.

Every singe install is just enough different to need different adjustments and anything that places undo strain on the stove (such as undersizing it) reduces the repair free operation time.

Stoves need to have all of their manufacturing updates installed, it is possible that the stove you buy at store 1324 has been in a warehouse for a long time and for there to be issues that have been resolved and that the changes aren't on the stove you walk out with.

.....It is about 500 sq feet so want to find a smaller stove.......they are priced about 1000 dollars less than most other stoves. ........I have been looking at used, but do not really know what warning signs to look for.......

Jon, if you're looking to find a reliable, small stove, why not look at one of these?

www.amfmenergy.com/55trp10--epa-certified-pellet-stove--1555101501.html

Factory refurbished, full warranty, comes w/ free OAK kit, and the best tech service in the industry. If you're the least bit handy, maintenance should be no problem, and we have the Senior Tech that is on the forum a lot.

Free shipping too!

Just another possibility.

Been looking for a pellet stove to heat a portion of my home that can not be heated by our wood insert. Wanted a pellet stove for temperature control because we do not always occupy that section. It is about 500 sq feet so want to find a smaller stove.

I have noticed that the TSC stoves (USSC) do not receive much love on this board. I have also noticed they are priced about 1000 dollars less than most other stoves. I will be doing my own installation and very capable with a wrench. We have 20 foot chimney that I will line with flex then convert to pipe. I am a trained electrician so I should be fine with maintenance. I have been looking at used, but do not really know what warning signs to look for. Do we have a thread on what to look for with used stoves?

Regards,

Jon
I have worked on a lot of these TSC stoves and Im here to tell you, SAVE your money. Put some more with it and do some research on more stoves. You will not be disappointed.

Reactions: Defiant
I believe you answered your own question about TSC stoves. My suggestion would be to stick with name brand companies. It may cost a little more up front but down the road you will be happier. Or maybe you should buy a cheaper one and experience many of the reasons somebody else is selling a used one so cheap. I would not want you to experience that. But lots of times you can buy a very good name brand and do a good cleaning and it will run like knew.
One thing to remember is efficency. All stoves will burn pellets but how much of the btu's go out the chimney versus being blown into your room. Having said that a stove rated at 50,000 btu will be more efficent at 75% capacity versus a 40,000 btu unit being run full bore. Most stoves run wide open will waste a lot of heat being blown out the exhaust.

Reactions: Defiant
Status
Not open for further replies.