Optional moisture content?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U.P.Boiler

Nov 15, 2015
Michigan , UP, Moran
Running a standard wood boiler ( non- high efficiency) whats the optional moisture content for burning wood with out mixing other drier pieces, compressed bricks or coal in with it ? Ive burnt seasoned 2+ year split and seasoned and have also burnt 1st wood cut and split within 6 months Which is giving the the best BTU for the burn ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert here. But I would bet it's still the dryer the better. So 15-20%. My reasoning is that moisture uses up your btu turning the water into steam instead of just heat. The steam also has a cooling effect on your chimney and furnace. Wasting heat and causing creosote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a standard, non gasser boiler. 20% or less will always give you the most btu's. When it gets colder out I will pitch a larger say 12-15" unspilt higher MC stick of wood in and fill it on up with seasoned 20-25% MC wood. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the most BTUs possible this way but I do get much longer burn times mixing high MC wood in, in this fashion. Just figure out what gives you the best burn times and go with it. The beauty of these old boilers is that you don't have to worry about "getting ahead" for years. Just keep it fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.