Options to elevate humidity level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
The room is about 350 sq ft big. No stove top for boiling water/steam generation. Tried a humidifier but I need a fairly big humidifier to alter RH level equilibrated to a consistent 45-50% or so. We have no green thumbs but may be running out of alternatives, and seriously considering adding and maintaining hard to kill plants to keep up moisture level. From your experience, what plants do you have effectively bump up humidity in a dry winter?

I guess there are plants that have the capability of raising humidity through normal transpiration, but I don't know just how effective they really are in a room. The biggest problem may be your requirement of regulation within a narrow range.

I'm pretty sure I've seen humidifiers under $100 or so big enough for a room like this, and with an adjustable humidistat.

The nice thing about plants, though, is their ability to reduce pollutants as well.

Reactions: excessads
Start air sealing. If you aren't constantly trying to heat fresh, cold air, your house doesn't get as dry.

Reactions: Ashful
How about one of those fancy waterfall walls like you see in lobbies. On second thought, probably too ambitious.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Start air sealing. If you aren't constantly trying to heat fresh, cold air, your house doesn't get as dry.
Ditto. Add an Outside Air Kit (OAK) to each of your stoves and burning appliances, seal all cracks, and cook pasta. You'll have no more issues with humidity.

Reactions: excessads
Brew beer. An hour of boiling a few gallons of wort boosts the humidity nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.