Order my pex this week 1-1/4" questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I need to order my pex for underground this week. Searching the internet I find that it is hard to find and also a big variation in price.

Price per foot all O2 barrier

Rahau Hepex $2.80
Watts $1.30
Aluma pex 95 cents

Any reason to not go with Alumapex for spray in the trench application?

What about the quality of the Watts?

I like that Aluma pex doesn't expand hardly at all vs pex. I think it would help keep it from working out the foam. But aluma pex might be harder to keep them lined up while spraying.

gg

It may be a non-issue but I'll give you my logic. The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material grows with each degree of increase in temperature. The CTE of polyurethane is 6-8 times greater than aluminum. My concern was that my pex lines were going to go thru many thermal cycles (cold-hot). The most important aspect of the pex, besides not leaking, is to keep the oxygen out. I was worried, LONG TERM, of these multilayers disbonding and losing the oxygen barrier. The hePEX is a more modern product (as I understand it) using polymers in the polyurethane to create the oxygen barrier. Would the layers in the pex-al-pex separate of time.... I don't know,.... but I refused to take the chance. If the oxygen barrier fails, your boiler and other stuff will rust faster. I did some research and it looked like Upon Wirsbo has been doing pex maybe the longest, and hePEX was their best product for boilers. I have the DIYer scars that justify being paranoid. Just like another underground piping discussion going on now regarding differential expansion...... sooner or later the the shear forces between layers of dissimilar materials as they go thru many thermal cycles typically disbond (separate). Back to Fox and Friends and a cup of coffee on this holiday.

I've heard the al pex will hold it's shape better than regular pex. that is if you straighten it out it will stay straight.

I've worked with both and pex-al-pex does hold its shape better, but its turn radius is less which you may want to consider if you're in a tight spot (such as sweeping up to baseboards.) Even if after 20 years the aluminium did split (which I doubt) where's the 02 going to come from when its encapsulated in closed cell foam underground? Your 02 is going to come from your fittings leaking, and new water being introduced. I used compression fittings on my pex-al-pex and they sucked. Really sucked. The pex moves around too much for them, and that goes for sharkbite fittings too, which aren't rated for anything over 140f.

Wirsbo/uponor is good stuff, but more expensive and you have to get the stupid tool and the fittings cost more as well. Its a better tubing no matter what the pex-b camp has to say. I don't know if its 2x better but after 2 jobs with it and using the expander tool I much prefer it. I think its a lot tougher when its hot, but that's just from fooling around with it. It also doesn't weaken as badly if you kink it, not that you should try but if you beat on pex-a and pex-b you can tell the difference. I'd think in freeze/thaw applications it would be a big advantage. I love the expansion tool, much easier to get a fitting on in an awkard location, but that's really a failure in planning anyhew. Crimps are great, cheaper, but I read on a heating site they weren't rated for heating because of the movement of the pex, just hot and cold water. May want to check it out.

What kind of fittings can go on the regular 1-1/4" pex? Compression? I do not have access to an expander tool so crimp fittings would need to be used. I have never seen the pinch rings for the 1-1/4" pex.

I need a pair of 130'

If I get the 500' roll of Watts I could use another 130' piece of it for outside hydrant water line.

gg

I've seen 1-1/4" crimpers and crimp rings available on ebay. Type in 1-1/4" pex on ebay and you will find pex, crimpers, and fittings for 1-1/4". I believe copper crimps rings are the best. One of the big advertisers there is located in Lancaster Wisconsion, don't know how close that is to you.

The Brand of pex found there is BHS which I believe is made by Watts? Does anyone have any experience with this pex?

goosegunner said:
What kind of fittings can go on the regular 1-1/4" pex? Compression? I do not have access to an expander tool so crimp fittings would need to be used. I have never seen the pinch rings for the 1-1/4" pex.

I need a pair of 130'

If I get the 500' roll of Watts I could use another 130' piece of it for outside hydrant water line.

gg

If you're going to use the remainder for something other than heating (ie potable water) make sure its rated for it. Usually it one or the other. If its just irrigation then fine but there's a difference with the Uponor and the Viega.

The place where I bought the hePEX had a loaner electric PEX fitting installation tool. I was a little imtimidated by the cordless thing that looks much like a cordless drill that expands the ID of the PEX, the PEX "ring" and scores the PEX ID for the fitting installation. Quickly learned it was a no brainer, very simple, and worked flawlessly by a first time user. Never had used the standard 1 1/4 fittings before but was very impressed and no leaks on any joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.