ordered single-wall, uninsulated liner by mistake . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chip Wood

Nov 29, 2016
NY
i thought i was ordering double-wall, pre-insulated liner. d'oh!

i'm thinking i should just order an insulation kit now. what's the difference in performance between pre-insulated and single-wall with a blanket wrap? seems like a bit more hassle to install the single-wall-with-blanket, but maybe the level of insulation is actually better...?

Last edited:
The level of insulation is exactly the same. The only benifits to preinsulated is less chance of torn insulation and the fact that you dont have to insulate it.

A 6" Pre-insulated liner will be about 7.25" OD. When you wrap your own, the insulation blanket will overlap itself and adds an additional 1/2" to the dimension - 7.75". Just something to keep in mind, although you could trim it and then make it so it does not overlap.

this particular flue is 11"x16", so i don't think it's an issue in this case. thanks for the heads-up though.