Ordering a new catalyst for my Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Yep.. I need a new one. Defiant Encore Model 0028, manufactured around 1990. Without starting any major debates,
could a few folks let me know a good place to pick one up? I typically run my stove in the 550-650 f range, heating a
drafty old house.

thanks!

You could also try a search on E-Bay, I've seen them on there.

Black Swan Stove shop and some other internet sources specialize in VC parts - maybe even Condar also.

You might need gasket, etc. also - maybe even some parts of the chamber. Make sure you remove it all first to see exactly what you need. Parts diagrams...if you don't have them - are available online at discountstoves.com

Thanks for the replies. I'm just looking for a good OEM or aftermarket catalyst for someone that
operates the stove in the mid-upper heat range (550-650 f). I think I'll try one of the stove combustor
links previously posted.

Its definitely time for new gaskets, etc. The refractory seems to still be in good shape, fortunately.
Those things are expensive! When it comes time to replace it, I'm intrigued about the thought of
building one out of stock refractory board.

I think stove combustors is what Elky tried out and liked for his Encore. Let us know what you think.

You may want to reconsider Stove Combustors/Clear Skies. Rather than the boxy honeycomb combuster like your OEM cat, the Clear Skies combuster looks like a very fine coral reef. It is also not as tall as the OEM.
I found their combustor very prone to clogging. I used one of theirs for 3 years. They also were unresponsive to emailed questions.
See this thread for a picture of my partially clogged Stove Combustors cat: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12447/

Try Applied Ceramics. http://www.appliedceramics.com/default.aspx?id=122
I just ordered a replacement there that's identical to my original OEM cat. I think the straight airflow through the square openings will make it much less subject to clogging.

Status
Not open for further replies.