Ordering Pellets in metro west Boston area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Divago

Oct 2, 2022
Boston
We have put down a deposit and had our fireplace measurements done two weeks ago. We are in line for a Harman accentra insert and estimates are mid-feb.
I was wondering if I should order some pellets now. Not sure if there would be any availability of pellets so late.
I was told pellets direct is a good place, just want to see what others in this area order theirs from.
I doubt we will burn a ton from mid feb till may - so that might be a consideration too, I doubt most places sell half a ton. I am guessing I will need to buy by the bags?
This is my first year, and I have very little idea on good source of pellets, my consumption, so any help is much appreciated.
Meanwhile I am reading pellet pricing reports to see if I can find a good source.

pelletsdirect.com, bostonwoodpellets.com, woodpellets.com . Also any Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Lowes in your area will carry them.
Your use of the stove will determine how much you need. Main source of heating all winter 2-3 tons maybe. Occasional use for some supplemental heat to your main heating (oil, propane, natural gas) you'll use less. Also how well your house is insulated, size of area you're trying to heat, etc.

sam

Reactions: VintageGal
pelletsdirect.com, bostonwoodpellets.com, woodpellets.com . Also any Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Lowes in your area will carry them.
Your use of the stove will determine how much you need. Main source of heating all winter 2-3 tons maybe. Occasional use for some supplemental heat to your main heating (oil, propane, natural gas) you'll use less. Also how well your house is insulated, size of area you're trying to heat, etc.

sam
Thanks Sam will check these out.
I was told not to buy from big box stores?
Roughly heating about 1000 sq ft.
House is well insulated.
Least I can seem to buy and get delivered is 2 tons so might have to buy extra

The good news is that Harman will burn anything you put in there. I burn "good" pellets like wood and sons, Turman, etc and I also Burn cheaper stuff like Tractor Supply, Green Supreme Etc..... The question is how often do you want to clean your stove, I can go ~4 weeks with the good stuff, and 2-3 with cheaper pellets without cleaning. This is with 24/7 burning.
This year I have 4 tons of Green Supreme (Allegheny Hardwood) and about 2 tons of Wood and Sons. The trick is finding a pellet that burns well for you and works for your situation. I am heating about 1400 sq feet with my 52i insert and it has no issue doing so.

I have found as others have that the Allegheny Hardwood is not a bad compromise between Ash levels and heat output. The fun part is you get to experiment with what pellet you like best. I will say that I did buy the Green Supremes for $170 a ton last year end of season which is another reason why I will take the extra cleaning. This year though at $300 a ton you can do a bit better pellet for not much more.

The good news is that Harman will burn anything you put in there. I burn "good" pellets like wood and sons, Turman, etc and I also Burn cheaper stuff like Tractor Supply, Green Supreme Etc..... The question is how often do you want to clean your stove, I can go ~4 weeks with the good stuff, and 2-3 with cheaper pellets without cleaning. This is with 24/7 burning.
This year I have 4 tons of Green Supreme (Allegheny Hardwood) and about 2 tons of Wood and Sons. The trick is finding a pellet that burns well for you and works for your situation. I am heating about 1400 sq feet with my 52i insert and it has no issue doing so.

I have found as others have that the Allegheny Hardwood is not a bad compromise between Ash levels and heat output. The fun part is you get to experiment with what pellet you like best. I will say that I did buy the Green Supremes for $170 a ton last year end of season which is another reason why I will take the extra cleaning. This year though at $300 a ton you can do a bit better pellet for not much more.
Thanks. Where do you get wood and sons, Turman pellets from?

I would look for local pellet dealers …. See if you can find a few nearby that deliver , I know there are a few that deliver to RI and close to Boston … I’m in CT so that isn’t gonna help you in that regard but if you are within delivery radius of mapellet.com or somewhere similar may be a starting point