oregon 511a sharpening question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2010
Southern NH
I have a stihl farm boss and a 511a to sharpen the chains. I have 3 chains - 2 full chisel chains and the safety chain that came with it. The chisel chains state that you should tilt the holder 10 degrees and the safety chain says keep it at 90 degrees. The last time I brought the chisel chain to the dealer to have them sharpen it (before I had the 511a) I asked him about setting the 10 degree angle since he didn't do it. He said that they never do it. (I wrote it off as too lazy to make any adjustments). I also asked about grinding the rakers and hey said they don't do it for insurance reasons. Again - maybe just too lazy.

Anyway, I just sharpened all 3 chains myself. My safety chain was done at 90 degrees and the chisel chains were done at 10 degrees. The other angles were the same at 60 (I think) and 30 degrees. I was excited to see if the chisel chain would cut like when the shop did them and it didn't. It was very difficult to get anything cut. After a couple of cuts it was smoking and just plain hard to use. I took it off and put on the other chisel chain - same thing. Not real good cutting from the first cut, but after a couple of cuts, it would not cut at all. Almost like I put it on backwards but it was not the case. I then put the safety chain on and it cut nice. Not real aggressive like the chisel after the shop sharpened it, but I was able to cut a tank full without any issues. I was also able to touch it up after a tank and it continued cutting.

So, does anyone here set the 10 degree angle?

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I'm tempted to put the chisel chain on the sharpener without the 10 degree angle and try it, but I don't want to waste too much cutter just trying a different cut.

Thanks for any help.

wannabegreener said:
I have a stihl farm boss and a 511a to sharpen the chains. I have 3 chains - 2 full chisel chains and the safety chain that came with it. The chisel chains state that you should tilt the holder 10 degrees and the safety chain says keep it at 90 degrees. The last time I brought the chisel chain to the dealer to have them sharpen it (before I had the 511a) I asked him about setting the 10 degree angle since he didn't do it. He said that they never do it. (I wrote it off as too lazy to make any adjustments). I also asked about grinding the rakers and hey said they don't do it for insurance reasons. Again - maybe just too lazy.

Anyway, I just sharpened all 3 chains myself. My safety chain was done at 90 degrees and the chisel chains were done at 10 degrees. The other angles were the same at 60 (I think) and 30 degrees. I was excited to see if the chisel chain would cut like when the shop did them and it didn't. It was very difficult to get anything cut. After a couple of cuts it was smoking and just plain hard to use. I took it off and put on the other chisel chain - same thing. Not real good cutting from the first cut, but after a couple of cuts, it would not cut at all. Almost like I put it on backwards but it was not the case. I then put the safety chain on and it cut nice. Not real aggressive like the chisel after the shop sharpened it, but I was able to cut a tank full without any issues. I was also able to touch it up after a tank and it continued cutting.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I'm tempted to put the chisel chain on the sharpener without the 10 degree angle and try it, but I don't want to waste too much cutter just trying a different cut.

Thanks for any help.

I'm no sharpening expert, but....

Well the current angles appear not to be working so I'd have to try it without the 10 degree angle on a chain just to see...

Ed

Sounds like it's time to address the raker issue. Have you measured them? Bet they need to be dropped a bit.

The sheet that came with my Stihl chisel chain says 90*...

The sheet that came with my Stihl chain says 90* for chisel.

I agree with Wood Stover - 90deg angle. Here's a copy of the filling instructions that came with the coil of .325 I bought.

Attachments

• Chain File Guide 2.jpg
    Chain File Guide 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 3,616
Ok the dealer cuts at 60 I cut at 60......lol What your seeing on charts is hand filing angel(its showing you lots of things on that chart. not machine angels). tilt 60 for ever-thing. front Angel will be the only thing that changes. If you was to cut everthing 60/30 you would be fine!

Congrats on the 511a! I est over 1/2 million links done on mine and bought used. Who knows how many before me.

I'll have to look for my sheet, but I could have sworn that it said the angle was 10 degrees. I'll also have to check the rakers. Can anyone recommend a tool to do this measurement? I would love to be able to set the depth stop on the 511a to do this so they are all consistent.

Thanks for the pointers. When I find my sheet I'll update this thread.

wannabegreener said:
I'll have to look for my sheet, but I could have sworn that it said the angle was 10 degrees. I'll also have to check the rakers. Can anyone recommend a tool to do this measurement? I would love to be able to set the depth stop on the 511a to do this so they are all consistent.

Thanks for the pointers. When I find my sheet I'll update this thread.

If you put that grinder on a 10 degree tilt you will be cutting the side of the cutter. Its easy enough to just line up without looking at the degrees on a chain after locking down see where your at then. My money and the farm are on 60/30 lol (Close anyways) Grinding chains I have never found one yet that was not 60 on the tilt.
Some chain box's will give grinding angals. Woodland pro full comp. calls for 35degree and the stihl rs is 30...I just use 30 for both. Smaller chains are normally 20-25 degrees. Milling chains 10.......BUT ALL ARE 60 Tilt! Don't over complicate angels you can spend days figure out what they are and what they mean. This is one of the reason you buy a grinder lol. Any dept gague will work fine.[youtube]http://youtu.be/Ejqffmg-gWE[/youtube] Here how I do my rakers, its more of a milling thing, but has a very smooth in the cross cut making for a fast chain. My rakers stay stock appearing! Also note very little sparks.

After a little practice. [youtube]http://youtu.be/5XLq5zemMss[/youtube]

PJF1313 said:
I agree with Wood Stover - 90deg angle. Here's a copy of the filling instructions that came with the coil of .325 I bought.

PJF and Stover -

I found my bar and chain info. You were right. I don't remember why I thought I had to add the 10 deg angle of the base. I have the 26RS, so it should be 90 deg, 60 deg and 30 deg. I'll set my sharpener up and refile. Thanks for setting me straight.

wannabegreener said:
PJF1313 said:

PJF and Stover -

I found my bar and chain info. You were right. I don't remember why I thought I had to add the 10 deg angle of the base. I have the 26RS, so it should be 90 deg, 60 deg and 30 deg. I'll set my sharpener up and refile. Thanks for setting me straight.

What are you setting on a grinder that is 90 degree's? There is nothing on a 511a that would ever call for a 90 degree.....................................

smokinjay said:
wannabegreener said:
PJF1313 said:

PJF and Stover -

What are you setting on a grinder that is 90 degree's? There is nothing on a 511a that would ever call for a 90 degree.....................................

In the 511a manual it is the 'Head Tilt Angle'. I guess I'm leaving it at 0 not 90.

wannabegreener said:
smokinjay said:
wannabegreener said:
PJF1313 said:

PJF and Stover -

In the 511a manual it is the 'Head Tilt Angle'. I guess I'm leaving it at 0 not 90.

It tilts from 90-50......90 you would be cutting the back of the cutter OFF! You guys are way off here.....50 would be for rakers.

smokinjay said:
wannabegreener said:
smokinjay said:
wannabegreener said:
PJF1313 said:

PJF and Stover -

It tilts from 90-50......90 you would be cutting the back of the cutter OFF! You guys are way off here.....50 would be for rakers.

Smokin, My 511a has 3 angles I can change.

1. back of the machine tilts from 50 to 90
2. the vise rotate angle which goes from -35 to +35
3. the head tilt angle. -10 to +10. This allows me to tilt the chain away from or toward the back of the machine. This is the angle that I had set to +10 but it should be set to 0.

wannabegreener said:
smokinjay said:
wannabegreener said:
smokinjay said:
wannabegreener said:
PJF1313" date="1305646113 said:

PJF and Stover -

3. the head tilt angle. -10 to +10. This allows me to tilt the chain away from or toward the back of the machine. This is the angle that I had set to +10 but it should be set to 0.

# 3 should really never need moved. #1 60, # 2 should be adjusted for the chain between 20-35 unless milling and its 10......90 should never come up.

Those charts are hand filing and angels of the chain its self. Not grinder angles

[
What are you setting on a grinder that is 90 degree's? There is nothing on a 511a that would ever call for a 90 degree.....................................[/quote]

In the 511a manual it is the 'Head Tilt Angle'. I guess I'm leaving it at 0 not 90.[/quote]

t tilts from 90-50......90 you would be cutting the back of the cutter OFF! You guys are way off here.....50 would be for rakers.[/quote]

3. the head tilt angle. -10 to +10. This allows me to tilt the chain away from or toward the back of the machine. This is the angle that I had set to +10 but it should be set to 0.[/quote]

# 3 should really never need moved. #1 60, # 2 should be adjusted for the chain between 20-35 unless milling and its 10......90 should never come up.

Those charts are hand filing and angels of the chain its self. Not grinder angles[/quote]
I think this reply is gonna look weird.-
Jay, could you clarify a bit? I've got the NT grinder on the way, and don't want to screw up out of the gate.

#1= 60, what are we after here? And does this angle change between 1/4". .325, and 3/8"?

#2=cutter angle, I think I got that one.
#3=tilt angle- can they all be ground at a 0 deg., even for Picco? If so, will this will save time? Thanks, JB

Beetle-Kill said:
[

In the 511a manual it is the 'Head Tilt Angle'. I guess I'm leaving it at 0 not 90.[/quote]

t tilts from 90-50......90 you would be cutting the back of the cutter OFF! You guys are way off here.....50 would be for rakers.[/quote]

3. the head tilt angle. -10 to +10. This allows me to tilt the chain away from or toward the back of the machine. This is the angle that I had set to +10 but it should be set to 0.[/quote]

Those charts are hand filing and angels of the chain its self. Not grinder angles[/quote]
I think this reply is gonna look weird.-
Jay, could you clarify a bit? I've got the NT grinder on the way, and don't want to screw up out of the gate.

#1= 60, what are we after here? And does this angle change between 1/4". .325, and 3/8"?

#2=cutter angle, I think I got that one.
#3=tilt angle- can they all be ground at a 0 deg., even for Picco? If so, will this will save time? Thanks, JB[/quote]

#1 does not change (tilt) #2 per chain #3 0 if fine on anything!

wannabegreener said:

Thanks for any help.
I use 35 degrees top angle & 10 degree tilt on all chains. This makes for a very aggressive cutting chain that stays sharp quite awhile. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.