osage orange ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work at Riverview Golf Course in Elizabeth township, built on old farmland. Lots of it there. We always used to sneak off and do the Bill Murray bit from caddyshack and whack dozens of 'em on hole 15.

"Cinderella story, outta nowhere, former groundskeeper about to become the masters champion.." WHACK..

."It's in the hole ! " ;lol

I have a ton of those things in my yard right now. My 6yo son uses them as "bait" for his live trap because he saw a squirrel eating one once. He has yet to nab a squirrel.

Reactions: osagebow
Farmers used the tree as a natural hedge, thus the term hedgewood is used. The fruit was mashed and thinned out with water. Trenches were dug in the fields and the "soup" was poured into the trench and covered. It would only take a couple years and the hedge with all its' stickers would keep the cattle or horses contained.

This is a fact!!!

Until I became a member here I had never seen osage orange . . . I'm guessing they don't grow this far north.

My wife came home last week with 4 of the monkey balls from the local grocery. She told me to spread them around the basement to repel spiders.... Don't know if they'll work for that but maybe I'll mash them up and plant a few hedge rows....

That is interesting Tim. Please let us know if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.