osange orange tree (I think)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Can you guys tell me a little about osange. I believe I have one of these trees in my backyard. It dropped these greenish looking balls that were just like a fruit of some type. No pitt in the center just all soft. It seems to be a pretty big tree. About 3 foot in diameter at the base and a good 40 feet high. Let me know. Its in good shape though

tumm21 said:
Can you guys tell me a little about osange. I believe I have one of these trees in my backyard. It dropped these greenish looking balls that were just like a fruit of some type. No pitt in the center just all soft. It seems to be a pretty big tree. About 3 foot in diameter at the base and a good 40 feet high. Let me know. Its in good shape though

If the Green balls are about the size of grapefruits and resemble a "brain" then it probably is an Osage Orange(Hedge apple) tree

Got this from google

Attachments

• OsageOrange.jpeg
    OsageOrange.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 566
Some hedge trees don't have the fruit. Jus fyi in case ya got more than one in your yard. It's prolly the ugliest tree in your yard!

woah dont see many of them 3ft diameter anymore.Much be quite the old veteran.Even some of the big ones in cousin's hedgerows in NW Missouri arent over 24"-26" diameter.

Oasge Orange is very dense wood and so it is very good firewood. It also rots really slowly so it makes a great wood for things that will be in contact with the ground - natural treated lumber.

Thistle said:
woah dont see many of them 3ft diameter anymore.Much be quite the old veteran.Even some of the big ones in cousin's hedgerows in NW Missouri arent over 24"-26" diameter.

Better grab your mill, thats a kitchen table.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

May 2011 straight section about 9 feet if I remember.My back hurts just looking at that now. :lol:

Attachments

• osage4.jpg
    osage4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 307
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

May 2011 straight section about 9 feet if I remember.My back hurts just looking at that now. :lol:

Oww. that looks like it was work. Saw a few 30" trees up here in town. Used to have to clean up the fruit when I worked in the lawn biz years ago. Great firewood! A C

amateur cutter said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Oww. that looks like it was work. Saw a few 30" trees up here in town. Used to have to clean up the fruit when I worked in the lawn biz years ago. Great firewood! A C

LOL the trees are still standing last I knew.Cousin is about 180 miles to my SW.I havent asked him what he'd charge if anything for the tree.Not even sure he'd let me cut it actually.With having to spend $100 roundtrip for gas & 6hrs driving time,not sure if its worth it to me or not.Would be a entire weekend project,plus more effort than I could spare right now.Though those slabs would be cool I agree.I'm sure they'll be there a while longer. :coolsmile:

I've been driving on this one road for my entire life. Yesterday i just noticed a huge grove of even bigger hedge trees. Most were 24" plus, but they were pretty limby.

Theres a hedge tree at my neighbors where i cut. It has 4 main trunks on one tree, each being about 28". It was girdled 10 years ago, so it should be hard as granite. It is right next to the main trail too. Going to be a major undertaking to get it home. Probably 3 cord in just the one tree....its canopy covered a 50 foot circle. Might try to save a few of the straight sections to mill. Going to have to get creative on how to get them on the trailer as they are probably more than a few pounds.

Here is my Saturday scrounge, all hedge! the round with my saw on it is bigger than the 20" bar. ive got a bunch of these to get.

Attachments

• IMG_20111105_165206.jpg
    IMG_20111105_165206.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20111105_180349.jpg
    IMG_20111105_180349.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 227
Constrictor said:
Here is my Saturday scrounge, all hedge! the round with my saw on it is bigger than the 20" bar. ive got a bunch of these to get.

I have wood envy. Freaking awesome haul there.

Shawn

Oh yeah ---> that's a nice trailer load! Great score.

That's a little bit of weight there. Great Score, some Major BTU's.

The bark is pretty distinctive. That's a big one you're describing, but they can get large. Wood color is a good indicator, and if you pull off a leaf I think there's a milky sap of sorts- though maybe not at this time of year.

By the way a single orange can yield a lot of seeds. They used to let them rot, then pour the mash into a very shallow trench, cover with a little soil- and up grows one of the many fence rows you see today. They're thick and thorny, so livestock don't walk through.

basswidow said:
Oh yeah ---> that's a nice trailer load! Great score.
this tree was a three legged tree and this is the second 16'x7' trailer load off it! there is still about 1/2 cord left to get off this tree! how am i ever gonna be able to get all of these hedge trees the guy wants gone? Its messy though, the sap is white and sticky, found out i have to have 2 sets of gloves, one to handle the saw and one to hadle the wood. otherwise you get the saw handle all stickied up.

Status
Not open for further replies.