Osburn 1800 blower issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfm_nbpt

Nov 25, 2007
Haverhill MA
Hello All. We just purchased a home which has an Osburn 1800 fireplace insert with a built-in blower (single-speed; plug it in and it works). Fired up the stove last evening and used the blower without issue for several hours.

Today I cleaned out the ash & cleaned the glass. Fired up the stove this evening and after an hour or so decided to plug in the blower. Well, I did plug it in and nothing happened. Tested the outlet. Checked the breakers. Ran an extension cord to a different outlet. No luck.

Question: is this simply a very random blower failure, or should I inspect/test/check anything else before ordering a (very expensive) replacement? Thanks in advance.

Also, if a new blower is indeed needed, I would appreciate installation tips from anyone familiar with this model. Thanks again.

I have the 2200I and I believe the blower is the same for the 1800. There should be a roller switch on the lower left side, below the door opening (way down at the bottom, where the insert protrudes onto the hearth). This switch turns the blower on and off, as well as adjusting the fan speed. Double check to see if this is on. I also notice with mine that it sometimes takes a really hot stove for the blower to kick in. In addition to the manual switch / adjustment, there is a snap disc that turns the blower on when the insert gets warm enough.

If you want more detailed information, you can download the manual at their web site. BTW, welcome to hearth dot com.

You're not going to believe what happened: when we moved in a few weeks ago I located & printed the user manual for this stove. Nowhere does it mention any switch for the blower, so I (incorrectly) assumed it was single speed.

My wife & I do not have kids, but we had a houseful for Thanksgiving. One of the inquisitive (I am being polite) little buggers who could not resist touching absolutely everything in our house, happened to discover that dial switch and turn it off. I know he must have done this because when the fan was working it was full on, so he would have had to have rolled it a full rotation before it clicked off.

I sat down this a.m. prepared to dismantle the front of the stove when I discovered the switch -- prior to seeing the prior posting.

Ah, kids! I think I'll celebrate not having to replace a $200 blower by building a nice hot fire this evening while I watch my Patriots crush another unworthy opponent :)

Glad you solved the problem, and that it wasn't anything overly serious.

As a side note, I saw you mentioned just moving in - have you gotten the chimney swept and inspected before doing much burning? Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd not be inclined to trust home inspectors and previous owners claims on something like a chimney....

Gooserider

Glad to hear it was a simple fix. I think you'll be happy with the 1800, it should do a nice job for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.