Osburn 1800i "non-combustibe" hearth - no R value given

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par38lamp

Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis, Missouri (MO)
I have pretty much decided on a Osburn 1800i insert, and was reading the manual cover to cover today. It talks of hearth protection - 16" if unit is less than 4" from the floor, and 6" if it's 4" or above, plus 10" of spark protection.

Nowhere that I could find in the manual or website did it give the R value of the "non-combustible" hearth needed.

Thoughts?

this is an interesting subject one that should be reconised and better explained I have to dig into codes but I do remember reading height requirements and reduction of r-
values. air space does have an r-value of .97 per inch That is why I also have pushed for damper block off plates a good seal creates a dead air space in that chimney cavity

Status
Not open for further replies.