Osburn 2000 insert to wood stove convert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sircycle

Feb 14, 2014
North Granby ct
Does anyone know if it is possible to use an insert as a standing wood stove?

The Osburn 2000 wood stove and wood burning insert are almost identical in their specs. Is it possible for me to fabricate a pedestal out of stainless, place the wood burning insert on the pedestal and proceed with installation using specs for its wood stove brother?

That question gets asked a few times a year. Unfortunately, the insert has never been tested as freestanding stove. Thus, anything you do with it would make it an unlisted stove and you would need to fulfill all requirements of an unlisted stove. Your local code inspector and your home insurance may also not approve of such a modification. And while the specs are the same the outside "shielding" is quite different and that is what counts from a clearance perspective.

I know your situation sucks, and I wish you would have found the forum earlier. I am pretty sure you will be able to sell a lightly used insert and then maybe take a look at the new Englander Madison for replacement: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/madison-in-my-burn-trailer.128150/ It's less than $1000 and you may be able to recoup some of your money then, even if you are not getting the stove you really wanted.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I would put it on craigslist. It's getting colder and someone will buy it. Get a woodstove and play it safe! Safety always comes first!

Status
Not open for further replies.