OSBURN 2000 OR ENGLANDER 13 NC FOR A 1600 SQ FT RANCH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernienomoreoil

Sep 30, 2010
Poconos, PA
I AM HAVING A HARD TIME BETWEEN THE OSBURN 2000 AND ENGLANDER 13 NC, I AM LOOKING TO HEAT A FAIRLY OPEN FLOOR PLAN OF ABOUT 1600 SQ FT.

I KNOW THAT THE ENGLANDER HAS A 1.8 CU FT FIREBOX AND THE OSBURN HAS A 2.3 CU FT FIREBOX.

I REALLY LIKE THE ENGLANDER BECAUSE OF ITS LOOKS BUT I NEED HEAT NOT LOOKS.......

I ALSO NEED AN OVERNIGHT BURN

HELP ITS GETTING COLD OUTSIDE HERE IN THE POCONOS, PA.....

Attachments

• OSBURN PIC2000.jpg
    OSBURN PIC2000.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 854
  • 13nc wood stove.jpg
    13nc wood stove.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 747
If you want to live up to your name, you'll need the 2.3 on the very coldest days of winter. But if you're really well-insulated and don't mind using backup, 1.8 might work for much of the time.

If my math is correct that's about a 22% difference in size. That's a big deal.

I would go with big anytime. I learned the hard way that bigger is better since if you get too hot you can open a window a crack and not have to turn your furnace on like I do at times with 2 wood burning devices not heating enough.

Shipper

And extra room to work with in that firebox is a plus. Whether you are loading it full or not. And as much as I love Englander stoves, those Osburns are nice stoves too. Both have the door handle on the correct side.

And you get the side heat shields standard and I believe that one comes with the blower standard too on the Osburn. The side shields not only give you closer clearances but convection air too.

Hi Ernie, firstly I have to tell you I work for the maker of Osburn Stoves... so its my job to make my brand sound good. However, there is nothing wrong with picking a particular brand because you like a certain look, after all you have to look at the thing for many years to come. Englander has been in business for many years and is a reputable brand typically available through Home Centers & Hardware Stores.

Osburn is a brand available through hearth specialty store and they can usually help you with installation questions or any other concerns you have since that's their main business. If the 'look' is part of your decision making, you can kit the Osburn with a door overlay of the color you want. The ash pan also comes standard. Down the road you can change the look if you want.

Osburn has the best warranty in the business. This is not just a brag... 2 of the most expensive replacement items: Glass & Stainless Steel tubes have a lifetime warranty. Englanders warranty is 5 years and you have to register it within 30 days in order to be valid.

As some of the others mentioned, the 2000 is a much bigger stove but also comes standard with a blower, Hi-Density Refractory Brick ( not the porous kind you have to replace every couple of years) and the baffle is made out of 'C' Cast which is a ceramic composite material that will handle heat up to 3000 F degrees for a long life. This is similar material they put on the belly of the space shuttle. You can also use a larger log size than the Englander. We use 5/16" plate steel which means the 2300 is over 100Lbs more than the 13NC. You're getting a lot of stove for your money!

I hope this helps.

Thanks for chiming in Bert and welcome aboard. Sounds like the Osburn is the unanimous decision. I think it looks pretty nice too.

OK Guys, Thanks for all your expertise; I have made up my mind..........I will be going for the englander nc 30. I will post pictures of my hearth pad build and the whole installation process of the stove.

Again Thanks,

Ernie

Hmm. I'm looking at a 1.8 cu ft stove but have decided on a 3+ cu ft model. Seems like overkill to me, but have fun.

BeGreen said:
Hmm. I'm looking at a 1.8 cu ft stove but have decided on a 3+ cu ft model. Seems like overkill to me, but have fun.

I have about 1600 SQ FT, so so insulation and really really cold nights.......

Ernienomoreoil said:
BeGreen said:

I have about 1600 SQ FT, so so insulation and really really cold nights.......

The bad boy does just fine with half loads. And the mass of the stove radiates heat a long time after the fire goes out.

Could be it works out great, hope so. The concern is that ranches are not like colonials.

BeGreen said:
Could be it works out great, hope so. The concern is that ranches are not like colonials.

I hear ya. Ranches are harder to heat. Had one in Texas and that master bedroom in the back of the house never saw heat from the stove. Wish I had known about fans blowing back to the stove back then.

Ernienomoreoil said:
OK Guys, Thanks for all your expertise; I have made up my mind..........I will be going for the englander nc 30. I will post pictures of my hearth pad build and the whole installation process of the stove.

Again Thanks,

Ernie

Almost spit out my coffee.
Fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball,...........curve.

BrotherBart said:
And the mass of the stove radiates heat a long time after the fire goes out.

Sometimes that's the problem. But I guess that's why they make windows, too!

PapaDave said:
Ernienomoreoil said:

Again Thanks,

Ernie

Almost spit out my coffee.
Fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball,...........curve.

Could you please elaborate; what do you mean "Fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball,...........curve." I don't understand I was going to get the NC 13 but most are telling me that I need a bigger firebox so I was going to go with the NC 30.....

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I WOULD LIKE THE NC 13 BUT AFTER READING A FEW POST I SETTLED ON THE NC 30; BUT NOW I AM CONFUSED.....BACK TO SQUARE ONE.......NC 13 OR THE NC 30....

You will find the the 2.3 cu ft firebox will give you a better chance to an overnight burn. Your wood selection will also dictate burn time. Harder wood is generally better.

Ernienomoreoil said:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I WOULD LIKE THE NC 13 BUT AFTER READING A FEW POST I SETTLED ON THE NC 30; BUT NOW I AM CONFUSED.....BACK TO SQUARE ONE.......NC 13 OR THE NC 30....

What they are talking about is that you were deciding between the 2.3 and the 1.8 and all of a sudden you popped up with that you are going to buy a 3.5.

BrotherBart said:
Ernienomoreoil said:

What they are talking about is that you were deciding between the 2.3 and the 1.8 and all of a sudden you popped up with that you are going to buy a 3.5.

OK I SEE, BB YOU KNOW I GUESS I JUMPED FROM FORUM TO FORUMS AND THEN I KEPT HEARING EVERYONE GO BIGGER GO BIGGER SO THAT IS WHY I SAID THE NC 30, MY THINKING IS THAT WITH THE NC 30 I COULD ALWAYS MAKE A SMALLER FIRE BUT WITH THE NC 13 I CANT MAKE A BIGGER FIRE.

ONCE AGAIN I AM HEATING AN AREA OF 1600 SQ FT WITH 10 FOOT HIGH CEILINGS, I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE WOOD EITHER....

SO FOR THE LAST TIME 13 OR 30.....I MAY JUST BUY BOTH...LOL

Go with the 30NC. Bought one last year, heats my 2300 Sq Ft ranch just fine. Wife and 3 daughters love the heat. Only about $300.00 dollars more than 13nc. Can't believe we use to keep house at 64f at night and 67f during day using propane. Lol House never goes below 75f now. No problems with overnight burns either. Get that baby in before it gets cold.

dondude said:
Go with the 30NC. Bought one last year, heats my 2300 Sq Ft ranch just fine. Wife and 3 daughters love the heat. Only about $300.00 dollars more than 13nc. Can't believe we use to keep house at 64f at night and 67f during day using propane. Lol House never goes below 75f now. No problems with overnight burns either. Get that baby in before it gets cold.

Thanks DD, I am going to Home Depot this weekend, I was supposed to go today but I got called into work.....

Ernienomoreoil said:
BrotherBart said:
Ernienomoreoil said:

OK I SEE, BB YOU KNOW I GUESS I JUMPED FROM FORUM TO FORUMS AND THEN I KEPT HEARING EVERYONE GO BIGGER GO BIGGER SO THAT IS WHY I SAID THE NC 30, MY THINKING IS THAT WITH THE NC 30 I COULD ALWAYS MAKE A SMALLER FIRE BUT WITH THE NC 13 I CANT MAKE A BIGGER FIRE.

ONCE AGAIN I AM HEATING AN AREA OF 1600 SQ FT WITH 10 FOOT HIGH CEILINGS, I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE WOOD EITHER....

Have to ask, what happened to the Osburn and why was this post titled:
OSBURN 2000 OR ENGLANDER 13 NC FOR A 1600 SQ FT RANCH ?

BeGreen said:
Ernienomoreoil said:
BrotherBart said:
Ernienomoreoil said:

Have to ask, what happened to the Osburn and why was this post titled:
OSBURN 2000 OR ENGLANDER 13 NC FOR A 1600 SQ FT RANCH ?

I need heat not looks, I think that the Osburn is nice looking but the NC 30 will give off more heat/longer burn. As for the Title, I just changed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.