Osburn 2200 loose / sticky air control damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bag of hammers

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2010
Northern ON
I've sent an email to Osburn about this, but meanwhile I'm wondering if there are other Osburn owners out there (2200, or other stoves or models with a similar primary air control) who have a sticky air damper issue. The air control damper rod on front of the stove slides easily from fully closed to fully open (from left to right) but from right to left it 'sticks' a bit at the top end now and I have to jiggle it side to side a bit to free it up, get it to move that first 1/2" or so, and then it slides from right to left again no issue.

More of an annoyance than anything else. If I only slide it to @ 90% open then there is no issue. Just at the very top end it's like the flat metal damper plate seems to catch or drag on something. I can just see the damper plate as it moves (looking thru the slot that the arm travels along) and I'm asking Osburn how difficult it is to get at this plate (hope I don't have to tear half the stove apart to get my fingers on it). Replacement parts are easy to find - I'm thinking maybe the plate is just coming loose from the damper rod (what else could it be, it hasn't always done this), but I can't fix it without getting at it. Any other Osburn owners (or other stoves with similar primary air dampers) experience this issue? I love this stove but I hope it doesn't start giving me nickle-dime grief....

edit - i just remembered there's at least 1 person here who works for SBI - fyrebug, I believe? if so, please chime in when you have a moment - thanks....

So about 5 minutes after posting here and sending my email to Osburn, I get a response (apparently I can remove a small air control cover and access the damper right from the front).

Awesome.

Kudos to SBI for the lightning fast reply.

Glad to hear their customer service helped you out so quickly. I think SBI are making progress in leaps and bounds with their customer service and lots of it has to do with Fyrebug and this forum!

Yeah, I've never had a serious issue, just questions, and always get a prompt courteous response.

You should go check out their factory/plant if ever you're in Quebec City. I have meant to on numerous occasions (I often go there for work) but can't find the time when I am in town on business. SBI's headquarters is 5 minutes west of Quebec City.

Status
Not open for further replies.