Osburn 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey006

Nov 24, 2009
Sask, Canada
This year I finally got rid of my Old Woodchief(actually it is going to my garage/workshop ;-) )

I installed a Osburn 2400 and new security chimney.

The stove is in basement. The chimney runs up inside the interior of the house. I have 16 ft of vertical chimney(5ft about roof) With rain cap installed.

Coming out of the stove I have a straight for 24 inchs into 45 elbow. The out of that elbow another 24-30 adjustable straight sleeve. Into another 45 deg and straight into the bottom of the Security chimney. So I have a total of 90 deg bend between stove and chimney.

Problem:

When I first got the stove I went through about 10 small fires to season the stove. OK.

After that when it got colder I built a nice big fire.....trouble is it it was getting TOO hot. I don't know if it got over 850 deg F but probably close. The exterior of the stove didn't glow RED or anything but the interior at the top where bricks and air tubes are was glowing red. Tubes are still straight so they didn't get deformed.

The reason why I loaded stove was I wanted to see what I get for MAX burn time for at night......

So I assumed that I had too much draft. So I inspected the air control. I took off the cover and low and behold I noticed that the air damper had a screw in it to prevent the air from being totally shut off. So even at the lowest setting there was still a golf ball sized hole in the air damper. SO I left the screw in place but fabbed a piece of flat metal to leave all but a 1/8 inch air gap at lowest air setting.( I didn't want to totally shut down the air supply)

Now when I load the stove at night the top of the stove will approach 800 deg F or a tad more if I have ANY Birch wood. Jackpine or Poplar seem to burn alot cooler.

The manual states that fires over 850 Deg may damage the stove. If I load my stove up at 11 PM I still have coals at 6 AM. Is running a stove @ 800 F- 830 F every evening going to damage it in the long run?

Is there anything else I can do to control the draft?(short of installing stove-pipe damper as they are NOW illegal to use in dwellings).

Maybe I should just burn round un-split logs in evening...will this cause it to burn cooler and longer?

Other than this everything else on the stove seems top-notch. The glass gets dirty when you burn slow fires but our stove is in utility room therefore no-one sits and watches the fire...

Thanx in advance....

Are you sure on the temps? The red tubes are normal for secondary burn...

That does seem a bit hot for daily running of the stove. Bigger splits or rounds will help reduce top temps. You might also try reducing the air supply a bit earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.