Osburn 45MF Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Oct 10, 2008
Maine
Hi I have a Osburn 45-mf pellet stove .I am hoping the picture that I am sending doesn't come out to big . This is what my window on the stove just after just one evening of burning. I thought that I wouldn't have to wash the window more than once a week.I am washing this everyday any ideas on why this is happening?The guy we bought the stove from says it has to do with the air supply .I have tried many different things like turning down the rate feed to 2 and when I do that its a black soot that appears. So I am running it at the rate of 3 ,and I am keeping the air supply at about a quarter from the minimum setting. Would like to hear any opinion's from someone who owns a Osburn stoveThanks Peggy

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 404
Hi Pegg,

The owners manual does list this as a daily chore.
I am only burning mine a few hours in the evening so can go three days or so before it looks like yours so when I am burning it longer it will go to daily cleaning.
The damper setting sounds about right for setting of 3. I keep ours all the way over on min. for 3 and under.

To me this is absolutely rediculous! People spending thousands for a pellet stove expect a good view of the fire and they should be getting it.
Keeping the glass clean while burning should not be rocket science for stove makers. My Harman P38 burning on the lowest setting stays clean for at least 48 hrs except for a small grey ashen spot which appears after a few days.
I can`t believe Harman is the only one who has it figured out.

I really think this has alot to do with the size of the window. Has more glass than any other stove. The other big factor is the auto ignite which I wouldn't live without, but it does smoke heavily on start up until they get going.

pellet0708 said:
I really think this has alot to do with the size of the window. Has more glass than any other stove. The other big factor is the auto ignite which I wouldn't live without, but it does smoke heavily on start up until they get going.
I could understand and live with the extra glass (side windows) getting foggy due to airflow design difficulties but I would think it should at least allow the front one to remain clean for longer periods.

Gio said:
To me this is absolutely rediculous! People spending thousands for a pellet stove expect a good view of the fire and they should be getting it.
Keeping the glass clean while burning should not be rocket science for stove makers.
"I am surrounded by people who cannot do what I do, but know I am doing it wrong."

Perhaps you can find a job working for a stove manufacturer to help them figure this out.

DiggerJim said:
Gio said:
Keeping the glass clean while burning should not be rocket science for stove makers.
"I am surrounded by people who cannot do what I do, but know I am doing it wrong."

Perhaps you can find a job working for a stove manufacturer to help them figure this out.

Yeah , I probably could at that!

Gio said:
DiggerJim said:
Gio said:

your not helping

Status
Not open for further replies.