Osburn 7000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How close to the house is the termination? I had to extend one a foot, now almost three foot and it eliminated most of our problems. Wind builds a lot of pressure against a homes side.

How close to the house is the termination? I had to extend one a foot, now almost three foot and it eliminated most of our problems. Wind builds a lot of pressure against a homes side.
It's already set close to the drip line of the second story roof with an 11/12 pitch, lets say 18 inches out. I'm going to put a snow stay up there this summer when I paint the house. I'm afraid I need to innovate something

When we were having the high winds w/ the Arctic front moving back n' forth through NH this winter, I wrapped the Chimney Cap with 1/8" screen mesh, that really helped to stabilize the draft rate up to 45-50 mph winds - could you make a screen hood to surround / shield the termination cap?

When we were having the high winds w/ the Arctic front moving back n' forth through NH this winter, I wrapped the Chimney Cap with 1/8" screen mesh, that really helped to stabilize the draft rate up to 45-50 mph winds - could you make a screen hood to surround / shield the termination cap?

I have a bonnet cap for my greenhouse stove, currently not in use. It's for 6 inch pipe, stainless. I need to measure to see if it would be compatible, the 4 inch pipe must be close to 6 inches on the OD. I may be able to rivet some screen around that to break the wind. That would give it some structure and allow it to strap over the end. 1/8 inch screen mesh wouldn't be too restrictive?

Not for the application here, which is wrapped around the frame on a chimney top cap - the cap has a 1" gap between the top frame piece and where the hood sits along the perimeter, so there is an open air space for venting.

The screen works excellent, keeps a stable draft flow in the chimney. We were getting wind gusts of 25 - 45 mph each time the front moved through the area, I was constantly adjusting / compensating for draft on the stove, without the screen. (If you are concerned the screen mesh will be too restrictive, you can always start with a larger screen mesh, and overlap / attach a piece w/ smaller mesh as needed.)

If you need to fabricate a custom collar, bracket, or frame: 1/8 inch x 3/4 inch x 48 inch flat aluminum stock is what I used here, picked it up at the metal section of the local Home Depot - it's thin enough to bend by hand / using a small vise, drills easy enough, and won't rust.. I used this to make a T-support bracket on the 3" Duravent pipe that exits the stove -> inside the fireplace, when I did the install back in Dec. '14.

Not for the application here, which is wrapped around the frame on a chimney top cap - the cap has a 1" gap between the top frame piece and where the hood sits along the perimeter, so there is an open air space for venting.

The screen works excellent, keeps a stable draft flow in the chimney. We were getting wind gusts of 25 - 45 mph each time the front moved through the area, I was constantly adjusting / compensating for draft on the stove, without the screen. (If you are concerned the screen mesh will be too restrictive, you can always start with a larger screen mesh, and overlap / attach a piece w/ smaller mesh as needed.)

If you need to fabricate a custom collar, bracket, or frame: 1/8 inch x 3/4 inch x 48 inch flat aluminum stock is what I used here, picked it up at the metal section of the local Home Depot - it's thin enough to bend by hand / using a small vise, drills easy enough, and won't rust.. I used this to make a T-support bracket on the 3" Duravent pipe that exits the stove -> inside the fireplace, when I did the install back in Dec. '14.

You've got a vertical application and I'm horizontal. I believe that your application is worth a shot. I also have a resource less than a mile away. An Amish gent that makes stove pipe from sheet products. I may be able to get a reasonable application of a tried and true high wind termination cap. I'm going to check with him today.

Thanks

Well the new new bonnet came in. In the last four days we've had 35-55 mile an hour winds every day. The stove has alarmed too many times, as the six inch bonnet wouldn't work, the smaller bonnet with wire mesh is now attached. So bring on the winds....they're about 25 now? >>

There was a discussion if a "T" would have helped stop the direct pressure on the termination pipe? Thoughts?

I guess it would depend on how the T was situated, vs. the prevailing winds hitting outlet(s) .. I only suggested the screen wrap to mechanically attempt to duplicate a natural hedge windbreak. How is the new bonnet working for you?

I guess it would depend on how the T was situated, vs. the prevailing winds hitting outlet(s) .. I only suggested the screen wrap to mechanically attempt to duplicate a natural hedge windbreak. How is the new bonnet working for you?
So far the bonnet with wire is working, BUT no crazy winds...yet. The thought on the T that was presented, was the wind pressure would pass right through from one end to the other and actually suck out the vent pipe. It seemed like a plausible idea?

I suspect a T-cap arrangement would increase draft, if the airflow was through the openings in the T, due to venturi effect (?), but without a boat-load of testing, if I needed to increase draft, I would just opt for a commercially available Jet cap. And would investigate if extending further out from the side of the house is needed, like Bioburner suggested, to negate any wind being carried along the structure, or hitting against the house interfering with draft..

But I don't think you need to increase draft, it sounds like the stove works fine in low wind situations.

For the setup here, the goal was to -stabilize- draft at a constant rate, regardless of wind speed.

High wind situations are always going to affect draft with the setup here: wind gusts in the 35-40 mph range & above will visibly affect flame in the stove, just not to the extent as they were without the screening, which required constant draft adjustment on the stove.

Most of the chimneys in this area use a masonry "H" cap arrangement to stabilize draft - the screen wrap on aluminum chimney cap here is just my attempt to duplicate that, by reducing the cross-section of airflow.

If you can create a stable 'air-pocket' around the current vent setup, I would think that would help stabilize / negate the wind issue..

:confused: I have a strange vibration noise coming from the cabinet of the stove. Prodding about with a non conductive rod, I can't seem to get the vibration to stop or at least vary. It sounds like a bad ballast starting up on a fluorescent light. It's intermittent about 15 to twenty minutes apart and lasts about a minute.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Dealer contacted awaiting service personnel and factory response.

Status
Not open for further replies.