Osburn hybrid 45 not providing much heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminor

Dec 20, 2016
Nh
I have been running an Osburn hybrid 45 for several years to heat my house. When I first got the stove years ago the temperature was in the 80's-90's in the room the stove is located. This kept the rest of the house (upstairs) in the high 60's low 70's. I have recently been running into H1 errors often and I am unable to run the stove any higher than level 1. I know this often has to do with the heat exchange working efficiently. With this there is a relatively low output of heat into the house. Any suggestions on cleaning methods to improve the heat output?

Welcome to the forum! Other than meticulous cleaning of the internal exhaust passageways or sluggish blowers, you may want to check the high limit switches (there are 2). They do weaken over time due to the heat and may not be functioning properly. You can do a temporary bypass around the switches to rule them out. Since it is a safety item, you should not run it that way. Always unplug when working in the cabinet.

Thank you! I am really a novice at working on the stove. I have taken apart as much as I can to clean. I have vacuumed as much as I can get to. Do the baffles need to be vacuumed on the inside? Anyone had similar issues with this model? I cannot seem to find YouTube videos about my stove.

If you've never removed the chamber walls, you've never cleaned out the little port to the left ... most people have a tube to attach to the vacuum so they can snake it up into that area. Some use a bottle brush; I use a dryer lint brush because my clean-outs run up the outside of the firebox with one on each side. Not sure on the Osburn how the actual internal exhaust channels are set up. Depending on the material of the chamber walls, you may not want to scrape them ... I brush mine with a paint brush. This missed cleaning is likely the source of your overheat ...

page 20 of the manual: http://www.osburnwoodstoves.com/v/vspfiles/files/hybrid 45.pdf
Chamber walls: Periodically, you must vacuum the ashes that may have accumulated on the main walls of the combustion chamber. START BY REMOVING THE DECORATIVE MASONRY-LIKE PANELS, WHICH ARE SIMPLY HELD BY SCREWS. Scrape off ashes. Use a vacuum is necessary. There is also a cleaning outlet located behind the left side panel of the combustion chamber. Remove this panel using a screw driver. You will notice a small rectangular cleaning outlet. Inspect behind this outlet (see figure 22) Insert the vacuum tip through the cleaning outlet and clean thoroughly. REPEAT THIS OPERATION AT LEAST ONCE PER TON OF PELLETS BURNED UNTIL YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH HOW ASHES ACCUMULATE WITH YOUR OPERATING PRACTICES.

Status
Not open for further replies.