OSHA Guide to Proper Tree Felling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice links, I have never done the bore cuts on leaners, I will have to try it.

I don't know if there is a special name for it, but I was taught a 3 backcut method for moderate leaners. After you make your notch, you make 2 angle backcuts leaving a triangle of holding wood. Then you make a standard backcut on the triangle, reducing it from the point to a normal hinge. The tree has less propensity to barberchair with the first 2 angle backcuts already taken out.

It took a bit of searching but I found a reference to the 3 backcut method. In the following, they call it side notching.

http://www.autonopedia.org/garden_and_farm/Trees_And_Woodland/Tree-felling_safety.html

Tree-felling_safety-15.jpg

LOL... anyone notice the left-handed saw in the pic? Assuming of course that they are NOT suggesting using the top of the bar to make the final cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.