Oslo Air Vent: Issue or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
I have read about the quarter trick for the air vent on the Jotul front air vents (may be the same for the castine as well) and I'm now going to try in as the stove has been cold for a day. But, is this the type of thing that I should make a stink about with my dealer as to how hard it is to move from about half way and down or not? Is it just a screw being too tight on some vs. others, or is it an actual issue with the stove/design? I don't want to try this and find out that their is actually a design flaw that I should have brought up with the dealer before the 6 month/year is up. I really have to play with the control (read tug, pull, hard) to make it work as it does from full to half.
Anyone have one that works fine from close to open? I have taken off the front cover and there is no cement in the slide and it is graphited (sp).
Thanks,
chad

chad3 said:
Anyone have one that works fine from close to open?

I recently replaced my Castine with an Oslo and can say that I didn't have any such issue with either stove...

The air control on our Castine is one of the smoothest I've used. However, there was a thread a while back where the Oslo owner had the same issues as you are reporting. Have you called your dealer, to see if they have a tech bulletin on this?

Here's the thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6724/

BG
That is what I have heard, just not with mine. That was the quarter trick that I was talking about. I haven't called the dealer as I was thinking but I guess I could ask him about any issues. From the horror stories that I have heard on here with costs for issues, I'm thinking I'll try the quarter and hope for the best. I have to say that other than the control, which I can use 99% of the time fine because I don't really drop it down beyond about 30% or so, I am very pleased with the stove. It has done its job this winter and from posts on here I am glad that I went with the Oslo over the Castine.
Thanks for help, if any stove guys read this, could you let me know if anyone hears about a "recall/issue"
chad

Status
Not open for further replies.