Oslo Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
Got the hearth pad laid out today. As you can see, a few more pieces to cut but I can at least get my marks made to cut out the floor.

I was going to build a pedestal for the stove to sit on but need the extra height to get enough height on the chimney.

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 435
That looks fantastic. I like the tile selection.

PS: I attached the jpeg. The link to photobucket wasn't showing up in my browser (Firefox).

Wendell,

Lookin' good! Can you possibly lift it at least 3 or 4" to give you a 'recessed toe space' kind of like the toe space at the bottom of kitchen cabinets - might avoid tripping on the lip when loadin the wood.

Shari

BeGreen said:
That looks fantastic. I like the tile selection.

PS: I attached the jpeg. The link to photobucket wasn't showing up in my browser (Firefox).

Thanks, that's odd about the link as I use Firefox and it was working when I posted it.

The flash brings out the color in the tile more than you are going to see in the regular room light but yes, I think it will work with the blue/black very well. The plan is to tile the wall behind, too, but we will how soon the hearth pad gets done.

Shari said:
Wendell,

Lookin' good! Can you possibly lift it at least 3 or 4" to give you a 'recessed toe space' kind of like the toe space at the bottom of kitchen cabinets - might avoid tripping on the lip when loadin the wood.

Shari

I'm a from the knees loader so I was looking for the foot lift to be able to push stuff straight in.

Nice pad Wendell.

That's very nice workmanship.

Thanks, but there is no workmanship yet. It's mostly my wife's design (she's a quilter) and I've just got it laying on the floor to take measurements. It was good to get it laid out though to see where the problem areas are going to be when it gets put in for real.

Looks like its going to be very nice. What type of R value are you going to get vs what you need for the stove?

Bobforsaken said:
Looks like its going to be very nice. What type of R value are you going to get vs what you need for the stove?

Curiously enough, it's an Oslo.. only ember protection needed. I had to be nuke proof for mine, my neighbor is putting in an Oslo, and it's like, dang, she don't need nothin'..

Got the hearth pad tiled yesterday.

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

how big is that pad? it is hard to tell from the pics

Looks great, Wendell.

I tiled my hearthpad this summer as my first tile project. Did a square so that I
didn't have to cut any pieces. Also didn't know that the tile was supposed to face
a certain direction (arrows) so mine has an artistic look. Won't be showing any close-up
photos though. :)

stoveguy13 said:

I'm going to guess after a quick calculation that it is 63.5" wide. Lets see if my public education paid off. That is assuming those are 12" tiles.

Looking good Wendell!

stoveguy13 said:

64" W x 54" D

CTburning said:
stoveguy13 said:

I'm going to guess after a quick calculation that it is 63.5" wide. Lets see if my public education paid off. That is assuming those are 12" tiles.

Wow, you're good!

Status
Not open for further replies.