Oslo vs. Cumberland Gap vs. Progress Hybrid? and what of the fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods4Life

Nov 8, 2013
Ohio
Thoroughly over analyzed!!

First, I love this site, it's been a tremendous help in getting us to our current dilemma. Moved to a 70's bi-level in June, 1700+ sq. ft... 27 acres, lots of down wood, already a good stack...Fireplace insert (Heatilator) in back sun room, with one large open double doorway at one end, one single doorway on other end of room, reasonably open to living room & kitchen, and open stairwell to upper floor. Lots of research has led us to these three stoves. Love radiant heat, and want to heat the whole place. Have been planning on installing the stove through the fireplace insert... but realizing I also hate giving up the fireplace. So, question is, which stove, the 3 seems so insanely comparable... and do we go with a 2nd location thru ceiling, corner of the sun room, which faces the wide open doorway to rest of house... or thru the existing insert (centered between both doorways? I love the idea of fireplace burning fall & spring, assuming full stove heat Dec-March +... Is it worth keeping the fireplace? Can one enjoy open door fire viewing in these stoves? If I can burn like a fireplace off/on in the stove, then no need for second chimney in same room.. but want the best of both worlds...

In short: which stove & which location (fireplace vs. corner location thru ceilling)...
This rookie thanks you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was my choice i would go with the Hybrid in the fireplace it will get you the longest burn time and from a heating with wood standpoint that is important, Second why pay for another chimney when you have one already. hope this helps

Thank you Stoveguy13, I just discovered the Hybrid, up until now I had my mind set on either Oslo or CG.
This may seem trivial, but having never had a stove before, I am curious as to whether or not I can burn in a stove on the cooler days when I don't need a roaring fire to keep the place super warm. We have really enjoyed the fireplace since June, and for some reason I am under the impression that it's all or nothing with a stove... ? The CG & Oslo offer open door fire viewing, and I'm not sure if I can burn that way- sort of like the fireplace. Also, does rear or top flue play into that capability? I am clueless, not finding much on this.

you can just put less would in the stove to control the heat output

What is the insulation like in your home? Be honest.
What are your winter temps like?

The Progress is the larger of the three stoves and has a lot more mass than the other two. So, it will provide more heat. If you have a very well insulated home, the Oslo, Cumberland Gap, or Woodstock Fireview would probably work just fine.

Quite honestly, we can't be too sure, from what we have seen, it's reasonably insulated... but has old aluminum windows, we'll be keeping those through this winter too... We just moved here in June, and the house was finished in the 70's... I wondered about the Fireview vs. Progress. Assumed the Progress may be too much, but felt as tho the Fireview was at it's limit to possibly heat the whole place... Winter temps for central Ohio aren't outrageous. Almost never below zero, but decent periods of single digits... This house is a bi-level with a bottom floor about 3ft. into the earth, so it's almost like a partial basement... The last few winters have varied wildly... Probably similar to PA?? I have been torn between the Oslo & CG, but just realized that Woodstock has some very happy stove owners that have made me start looking there... Big purchase or us, lots of unknowns, from what I can tell any of them will be good stoves, but I'm hoping to learn something that will make it more obvious. Thanks.

Quite honestly, we can't be too sure, from what we have seen, it's reasonably insulated... but has old aluminum windows, we'll be keeping those through this winter too... We just moved here in June, and the house was finished in the 70's... I wondered about the Fireview vs. Progress. Assumed the Progress may be too much, but felt as tho the Fireview was at it's limit to possibly heat the whole place... Winter temps for central Ohio aren't outrageous. Almost never below zero, but decent periods of single digits... This house is a bi-level with a bottom floor about 3ft. into the earth, so it's almost like a partial basement... The last few winters have varied wildly... Probably similar to PA?? I have been torn between the Oslo & CG, but just realized that Woodstock has some very happy stove owners that have made me start looking there... Big purchase or us, lots of unknowns, from what I can tell any of them will be good stoves, but I'm hoping to learn something that will make it more obvious. Thanks.
What is your attic insulation like.

I have found that most people that aren't too sure about their insulation usually find out their home is drafty. Check your attic and see what you have going on up there.

The Oslo and Gap are about the same size, and the Woodstock Fireview is a hair smaller. But, the Woodstock will provide longer burns if your home is properly insulated for the size of your home.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider the option of a spark screen/burning with the door open as anything worth the cost of the screen.

We have a screen from the Fisher stove that was here when we bought the place that fits our stove (Lopi sells spark screens for the Endeavor, the Republic 1750's sister stove, but they don't fit the Republic). We tried to use it a few times, but the result is a smoky low heat burn that probably just adds creosote to the stack. Modern stoves just aren't built to be run with the door open. About the only thing that you will not get with the door closed is the sound of wood popping (unless it's a fresh load of pine, I can still hear that pop with the door closed). And the smoke smell if you're used to that from an open fireplace with a weak draft. With the nice glass doors now, you still get the view of the fire even with the doors closed.

Thank you Stoveguy13, I just discovered the Hybrid, up until now I had my mind set on either Oslo or CG.
This may seem trivial, but having never had a stove before, I am curious as to whether or not I can burn in a stove on the cooler days when I don't need a roaring fire to keep the place super warm. We have really enjoyed the fireplace since June, and for some reason I am under the impression that it's all or nothing with a stove... ? The CG & Oslo offer open door fire viewing, and I'm not sure if I can burn that way- sort of like the fireplace. Also, does rear or top flue play into that capability? I am clueless, not finding much on this.

The Progress Hybrid is a good stove. I would imagine it is a bit more efficient than the other two stoves. It has a top or rear vent option. However, you can't burn it like a fireplace with open door viewing. It has to be closed all the time. You can also cook on top of the Progress Hybrid.

Welcome to the forum Woods4Life.

No, you can't burn with the door open on the Progress but you have a wonderful cook-top. In addition, do not forget the amazing guarantee that Woodstock offers; six months! It may or may not be too much stove for your home with the home being bi-level. Depending upon insulation, windows, doors and south facing, etc., we have heard of the Fireview heating that much space.

We have the Fireview and can tell you we have no problem heating our home as we desire no matter if the temperatures are in the 30's or single digit or even below zero. It is a simple matter of how much wood and what type of wood we chose to put in the stove. Normally during this time of the year and this year is no exception, we simply burn 2 or 3 splits at a time and get by very easily with that. With the Progress you can do the same but you will feel much more heat in front of the stove than you will with the Fireview. fwiw, we had planned on installing a Progress but changed our mind and stayed with the Fireview. We did add a room but still have no problem heating with this stove. It would be very difficult to give this stove up!

Good luck.

The attic insulation is OK, not great. The house stayed rather cool through summer, which we hope reverses to stay nice and warm thru winter. We cooled the whole house with a small window ac unit a window near where the stove will go... it worked rather well moving cool air upstairs with a few fans running (there's no duct work in the house) Our last house was 2 story farmhouse, drafty as all get out. This place seems a lot tighter. We'll be improving the place as we live here, but one thing at a time. Stove first. Possibly going to add on, but that's few years down the road as well. I'd like this stove to be as permanent a purchase as possible.. How bad of a situation will we be in with if we go with the Progress and it's a little too much? Will we get baked like taters? ;) I will admit, the survivalist in me feels attached to the idea of a fully cast iron stove (Oslo)-which is where this journey started. And installer came out to give an estimate and convinced us to go with the CG. Power outages are not a major problem out here, but they definitely happen, and we get turned on last being in the sticks. We wired the house so our generator would be able to run the stove...

How warm do you like it? The wife and I like things to be really warm, so, we don't worry about over heating with our swiss cheese farm house.

Also, is the cook top all it's talked up to be? I love the idea.
Some love it. I'm "meh" on it. If the power goes out, it comes in handy for me. But I am standing around stoves enough throughout the winter. I don't need to make a mess of it and stand in front of them cooking.

But, that's me.

I agree with the standing around the stove statement, I like the idea, but like to keep my cooking in the kitchen- unless, of course, power outages... I think I'll be happy putting a steam pot on the stove. I can't say for sure, since we've spent the past decade in the old swiss cheese farm house.. I despise winter, and always say I'd rather be broken hearted than cold... ;) So, I feel safe saying we like it hot. I'll be happy not packing away the summer clothes this year.

PH will not roast you out of the home. You can control the amount of heat you produce by controlling the amount of wood you put in the firebox.

The stovetop is great for cooking. I do 90 % or more of my cooking on it from Fall through Spring.

Power outages don't impact Woodstock stoves.

They are beautiful stoves, and produce a very comfortable, even heat.

I can't give any specs for these stoves but I have the CG and love it. We heat about 1900 sqft, 2 story house with it, have had it 7 years now and have had zero issues. It will heat you out if you're not careful but that's almost any stove. I have the fan for it but it has probably been used maybe 5 times total - just have not needed it most of the time. We went with that one primarily because my wife liked the finish on it (went with the brown porcelain finish) and I have been married long enough to know that if she is happy then I can make due with whatever.

I had the Cumberland Gap in my last house. Installed it new and burned in it for 6 years with no issues. It heated 2,000 sq/ft easily. Good stove with excellent burn control.

Reactions: Woods4Life
mfetcho, what temps were you experiencing and whay kind of house do you have? I have a CG and am trying to determine best location and heat movement. Thanks.

I think its going to be a matter of preference for you. Our Oslo has done everything asked of it and we thoroughly enjoy it. Good luck on the decision and I shouldnt have to say it, but you've done your homework and have 3 great stoves to pick from.

mfetcho, what temps were you experiencing and whay kind of house do you have? I have a CG and am trying to determine best location and heat movement. Thanks.

I assume you are asking about outside temps? I live in Washington on the east side of the state. We stay in the low 30's to high 20's when winter officially kicks in. Occasionally we get a cold snap that brings the temp down into the teens single digits. My house that I had the CG in was a 2006 built 4 level house with the stove in the family room. The family room was the 3rd level with the basement being the 4th level so I only heated 3 of the levels(2000sq/ft). From the family room it went up 3 steps into the 2nd level (ktichen/dining w/catherdral ceilings) and then up a normal flight of stairs to the upstairs (bedrooms). The stove location was perfect and I rarely ran the ceiling fan in the cathedral ceiling. The temperture differential between the upstairs and main floor was usually only a degree or two. When it got down into the teens or single digits, the stove ran on the hot end to maintain or increase temp in the house.

What is your floorplan?

Here's my floor plan

Attachments

• House Layout 1st and Snd.JPG
    House Layout 1st and Snd.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 122
Here's my floor plan

Just some things to think about on this.

- How do you plan to bring wood in to the house? I know that this floor plan is just a quick sketch, but are you dragging wood half way through your house to get to the stove?

- Are you going to be running a fan to help get the heat out of the den or have some type of ceiling/floor vents to help get the heat upstairs?

Just some things to think about on this.

- How do you plan to bring wood in to the house? I know that this floor plan is just a quick sketch, but are you dragging wood half way through your house to get to the stove?

Id think wood getting to the stove would be the lowest thing on the totem pole. I'd pay attention to heat delivery throughout the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.