Othello wood burning cook stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

strucicm

Jun 10, 2022
Idaho
Hi my name is Matt and I just inherited my families very old cook stove....the only things I know right now is that the front door for the oven section says "othello" on it.....I believe I can make out "Pratt Company" on the back....it is cast iron and has 6 burners up top....it is in very rough shape.....just looking for anyone that has seen or heard of this stove and possibly how to get parts for it?? Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you!

20220608_184451.jpg

That actually looks in pretty good condition. I bet it would clean up nicely. What parts are needed? What condition is the firebox in?

That actually looks in pretty good condition. I bet it would clean up nicely. What parts are needed? What condition is the firebox in?
Thanks!! Well there are a couple cracks in the top, the cast iron not the burner parts but the cast iron pieces that hold the round burner parts in the positions.....the fire box looks good I think...the concrete is all there I just am not experienced enough to know if anything is missing.....also the chimney connection point on the stove itself is cracked and I don't have away to secure the 90 degree elbow to the stove so the chimney can go up towards ceiling.

Does it say Boston anywhere on the stove? There was a Walker and Pratt company out of there.

Does it say Boston anywhere on the stove? There was a Walker and Pratt company out of there.
No actually I got home today and did quite a bit of cleaning and was able to make out "the reading stove works orr, painter &co"???? Any ideas? I found some pictures of some old posts online of the exact stove but nothing for parts or anything....thanks again.

Ah, bingo. The Reading Stove Works - Orr Painter & Company made the Othello line of cookstoves along with many other products from the foundry including Sunshine stoves. They were out of Reading, PA.

The Othello line had a good run of 43 yrs. starting in 1880. They sold about 300,000 of them! It was not inexpensive and considered one of the best cookstoves.

OTHELLO_The Perfect Range

THE OTHELLO in a tasteful shade of Enamel, selected with reference to other Kitchen furnishings, may be quite as pleasing to the eye as the Piano in the Parlor. It is clean — attractive — efficient. Its possession assures that contented feeling which is the accompaniment of perfect work.
The advent of Porcelain Enamel, as applied to cooking apparatus, has rescued the lowly range from its dark corner of the Kitchen to a " place in the Sun."

Measure the oven size and you may be able to pin down the model number with this resource.

Note that behind the tin liner in the oven and oven door there probably will be asbestos insulation. Don't disturb without proper protection and methods for disposal.

Last edited:
That is great information...kind of worry some about the asbestos insulation i hope none is leaking out....any ideas on how to check that and should I be worried at all?? Also any ideas on where to look for some parts possibly....thank you very much for all the feedback by the way.

As long as the tin liner of the oven is in good condition I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have to network with antique stove restoration places to locate parts. Some may need to be cast if not available.
Read through this wood cookstove blog for some possible resources.
also

Last edited: