Other types of oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
Have 2 Gal of Maxima synthetic castor927 left over from my 2 stroke motocross days, i would tend to think it would be ok in a chainsaw its pretty much the top of the line and i would like to get it off the shelf. Any thoughts?

fabguy01 said:
Have 2 Gal of Maxima synthetic castor927 left over from my 2 stroke motocross days, i would tend to think it would be ok in a chainsaw its pretty much the top of the line and i would like to get it off the shelf. Any thoughts?
could see it going bad.

smokinj said:
fabguy01 said:
could see it going bad.

After five years or so. Up till then it is fine. Probably fine beyond that but five years for sure.

is it pure synthetic, or does castor927 mean it literally has bean oil in it?
castor oil was about the best possible two cycle lube in the 'old days' before synthetic, but had a very short shelf life once mixed.
bfore mixing, life was better, but not too long. If truly castor in the blend, I'd not take the chance.
If full synthetic, 5 yrs seems reasonable life.
OTOH, $10/qt amsoil is cheaper than several hundred dollar saws........

k

ouch. makes decision harder. not want to throw $100 worth of oil, but.....
how old?
might write maxima and see what they say.

kevin j said:
ouch. makes decision harder. not want to throw $100 worth of oil, but.....
how old?
might write maxima and see what they say.
3 yrs approx

I would compare the industry rating on the oil and the minimum rating called for in your saw manual - if the oil rating is as good or better than what the saw calls for, and is for an AIR COOLED two stroke engine, then it's probably fine... Mix to the richer of the ratios called for by the oil or the saw.

If the oil is NOT rated as good or better than the saw, I'd be VERY nervous about it - possibly contact the oil maker and ask them for their opinion...

To some extent it may also depend on the vintage of your saw (which you didn't specify) Newer saws are supposedly built to tighter tolerances and so forth in order to take advantage of the improvements in modern lube technology, and thus require the latest high tech oils to run properly. Older saws were made with older lubes in mind, so probably would be less fussy.

Gooserider

Any lube oil, five years. Synthetic or not. Synthetic oil is just lube stock that has had the molecules moved around to make it more "perfect" than the dinasours left it when they died and the refinery got through with it.

As to superior or inferior to what the local chainsaw shop sells. Fugidaboutit. Top shelf two stroke oil is top shelf two stroke oil.

fabguy01 said:

Use it. I use Mobil MX2T and Klotz R50 in my saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.