1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Our cabin

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by FanMan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Some pictures of our cabin in upstate NY as requested in another thread, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. I grew up here, not in this cabin but nearby. The cabin was a mess when we got it, the wood stove installation was frightening, lots of water damage from the leaking roof, I pretty much guttedthe interior and rebuilt it, adding on a small addition for the master bedroom. I'm responsible for maintaining the place even though we don't actually own it, it's a weird sort of co-op deal. The basic structure and main cabin roof fortunately were sound; it's all native American Chestnut (built late 1920s).

Living room, with 1970s "Early Times" wood stove:
    Living room 1990.JPG Living room 1991.JPG Living room1989.JPG

The master bedroom, including the 1920s "Daisy" coal stove:
    Dsc02231.jpg IMG_1825.JPG

Front porch:
    Porch 01980.JPG

And the big snow two years ago:
    Dsc02025.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Buc White

Buc White New Member

Loc:
    Waterbury, CT
    nice place. Love all the wood walls and exposed ceiling. My fiance hates wood walls so i ripped the sheetrock out of the basement and made it my own. After I put the pellet stove down there she though I was going to move in. She said, "your getting really comfortable down there."

anyways, love the cabin
    Realstone and ScotO like this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Gorgeous! Nothing like a cabin in the woods. That would be a very cozy place to be during a blizzard or big snowstorm.
    Buc White and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Oh wow!
  5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    That sure is beautiful!
  6. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    It would be very hard for me to leave.... Nice place...
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

There ain't nothing better than being in a cabin on a snowy day with the stove going. Life is good.
  8. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    agree with the responses, you can't go wrong in a place like that.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Looks nice and also looks comfy. Congratulations to you.
    ScotO likes this.
  10. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Beautiful. I have always dreamed of a place like that. A good friend had a cabin like that where we used to deer hunt......I never wanted to go home when I was there.
    ScotO likes this.
  11. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Yeah, that's a problem... all the nearby cabins are built on the same pattern and during I guess the 1950s-1970s before natural was "in" again lots of people thought the old cabins were too "dark" (and they are, without a skylight or lots of electric lights) so many of them are painted bright colors over that beautiful chestnut... and you can't fix that, a real shame. I was lucky to get one with original structure and roof, at least, though I did have to scrape a few of the posts in the living room.

My wife never wants to go home either... she's still there... but I gotta turn off the water and drain the pipes next weekend so I guess she'll come home then... ;)

The other cool thing about it is that about 80% of my neighbors (there are about 60 cabins in the area) are the kids I grew up with... when my roof need reshingling I had about 20 friends up there doing it. Of course I've been up working on a few of their roofs too over the past few years too...
    ScotO and tfdchief like this.
  12. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Wow thats really cool, nothing like being out in the sticks, wood stove a cranking. Hot cup of coffee ,bacon and eggs. or maybe um, sausage gravey and biscuits.
  13. Buc White

Buc White New Member

Loc:
    Waterbury, CT
    .....with the fridge filled with your favorite adult beverage, good food, and a box of cigars.
  14. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Wonderful way to live. Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm really glad to know there are still some chestnut structures around, and that you are caring for yours. You've done a geat job. Impresive..
  15. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Fantastic - You did an excellent job on 'er. Love that old 70's stove. The deerskin rug really ties the room together!
  16. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Very nice!!
  17. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Thanks... I'm not one for head mounts, not a trophy hunter, but the skin (from the second deer I ever shot, my second season hunting some 20 years ago) just seemed right on that wall.
  18. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Read your post on the other thread and it sounded so familiar I had to pop over to this one. Except...we're not done yet and we do live here, lol. Nice place!