Our "Little" Splitter project...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
It'll be powered by a 16hp vanguard v twin with a massive hyro pump.. It's gettin there, slowly....

Wood012.jpg

Wood013.jpg

The only thing I don't like is that it will be run horizontally rather than vertically. But it looks like you are building it solid enough.

We've only ran a horizontal splitter a handful of times and didn't like it too much. Seemed like more work tryin to roll a large round over then slide in under the wedge. Plus we're going to add a log lift on the side opposite of the the ram. The whole trailer will be decked to make movin rounds around easier.

Definitely the log lift will help. Good luck on that project. Let us know how you end up and how well it works.

It doesn't look like you can stand close enough to the beam and will have to do a lot of reaching. On my little splitter I even took off the log outrigger on the work side because it constantly dug into my thigh. Without it, I can stand much closer to the beam.

100_0340.jpg

LLigetfa, the working distance is just right once we got the beam welded in place. You don't have to lean over at all.

And james,, that splitter sure is purdy! Great job...

Status
Not open for further replies.