Our Lowes latest Wood Pellet Shenanagans!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

They raised the price and now have a contractor pack of 50 bags! See pic of sign below Green Supreme by NEWP

Price $4.82 per bag

$4.32 per bag when you buy a minimum quantity of 50 bags

Contractor Pack??? -- Come on Lowes give us a real break!!!

Attachments

• LowesNWPsGSsc (2).jpg
    LowesNWPsGSsc (2).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,433
  • LowesPelletShenanigans12-27-2011sc.jpg
    LowesPelletShenanigans12-27-2011sc.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,646
I agree Lowe's has raised their prices. Greene Team went from $4.18/bag to $5.49/bag. Other brands were raised to $4.49/bag, but I haven't been back since they raised the price, so it may have gone higher. This is the first time I have seen them selling ton lots cheaper than by the bag. Although most other suppliers in my area do sell by the bag for more.

I believe lowes has a low price/ price match guarantee.......they matched menards price of 3.49 a bag for me about a month ago........I should have bought a ton

How about $5.97 a bag. Thats what they have been from the beginning of the season at my local lowes. The price you stated is about what i can get them for at TSC.

Seems lowes is higher on everything here in my neck of the woods. I would love to get those $180 ton deals everyone talks about on here.

I've never seen it said on here so I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but Lowe's and HD will give a 10% discount to veterans as long as you have a VA card to prove it.

subsailor said:
I've never seen it said on here so I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but Lowe's and HD will give a 10% discount to veterans as long as you have a VA card to prove it.

Yes, it has been said but some of those stores are getting picky now and insist on an Active Military ID only!

If you have a commercial account at lows or hd they will give you an additional 5% if you pay with it.

farm and home supply had OHP's (Ozark hardwood products) for 166.50 per ton over the weekend here.

jdempsey said:
How about $5.97 a bag. Thats what they have been from the beginning of the season at my local lowes. The price you stated is about what i can get them for at TSC.

Seems lowes is higher on everything here in my neck of the woods. I would love to get those $180 ton deals everyone talks about on here.

OK, it's worth pointing this out again to try to help you. Print out the picture showing the per ton price at the Lowes above. Take it to your store and show it to the store manager and see if he will match it. If not, get is card. Then write a VERY NICE email to Lowes' headquarters complaining that some Lowes stores are way out of line with other stores and to request that your store honor the prices offered at other Lowes.

It worked for me to reduce my local price of $5.97 down to $3.74. I wrote the email and the next day the store manager called and said I could have as many tons as I wanted at the lower price.

As and ye shall receive. Ask not and ye shall get squat.

I've found that for me, the best deal is to pre buy a ton at HD and a ton at Lowes. It's easier for me to pick up a few bags at a time. Each time I pick some up they give me a receipt.
I've been picking them up and buying them for $3.60/bag thanks to price matching.

If you decide not to take the whole ton they will pay you back the difference.
I just wish I had pre bought a couple thousand gallons of gas when it was $.99 a gallon like Southwest airlines did....

This is totally legit and they are always happy to oblige, because they are reusing your $ to make a profit and you are getting a good deal.

fmsm said:
If you have a commercial account at lows or hd they will give you an additional 5% if you pay with it.

If you have a Lowes charge card the 5% comes off the total after you scan your card!!

superchips said:
I've found that for me, the best deal is to pre buy a ton at HD and a ton at Lowes. It's easier for me to pick up a few bags at a time. Each time I pick some up they give me a receipt.
I've been picking them up and buying them for $3.60/bag thanks to price matching.

If you decide not to take the whole ton they will pay you back the difference.
I just wish I had pre bought a couple thousand gallons of gas when it was $.99 a gallon like Southwest airlines did....

This is totally legit and they are always happy to oblige, because they are reusing your $ to make a profit and you are getting a good deal.

That is very interesting.

Did you pre-pay for the whole ton? What if the pellets are not the same brand or do they actually keep a ton aside for you in the back room?

Which Lowe's on the Seacoast?

Ever since Lowe's has raised their prices on pellets, and closed 2 stores near me, I don't buy their pellets anymore.
I've been buying the Homestead pellets from Woodpellets.com for $5.00 a bag, and my stove loves them.
I think they are a site sponser, and it's great to support a small business. Plus they are not far from me, I just swing in to the office in Goffstown, NH and they are glad to sell me 1 bag, or 1000. Very nice people too.

tjnamtiw said:
jdempsey said:

OK, it's worth pointing this out again to try to help you. Print out the picture showing the per ton price at the Lowes above. Take it to your store and show it to the store manager and see if he will match it. If not, get is card. Then write a VERY NICE email to Lowes' headquarters complaining that some Lowes stores are way out of line with other stores and to request that your store honor the prices offered at other Lowes.

It worked for me to reduce my local price of $5.97 down to $3.74. I wrote the email and the next day the store manager called and said I could have as many tons as I wanted at the lower price.

WAIT... Are you saying that lowes will match the price from another lowes in another state? I did not know that. I was under the impression only would match local competitors price.

I will try that.

Don2222 said:
fmsm said:

If you have a Lowes charge card the 5% comes off the total after you scan your card!!

At least for me this is not true when you Buy the contractor pack. I bought my Green Supreme's for $3.05 or $3.15 (contractor price). They would not give me the 5% discount for using my Lowe's card. I argued a little, but the price was so cheap that I did not get too upset. Side note, I wouldn't buy another ton of Green Supreme's if they were $2.00/bag and I got 50% off if I used my card.

wow, you people on the east coast are getting reamed on pellets
must be the shipping costs to get them there
glad we are close to kentucky ( Somersets)
you save half over oil, if you paid our prices
it would be like "free" for you

jdempsey said:
tjnamtiw said:
jdempsey said:

WAIT... Are you saying that lowes will match the price from another lowes in another state? I did not know that. I was under the impression only would match local competitors price.

I will try that.

Yep, that's exactly what they did for me. The store in Seneca, SC matched the price of a Lowes in the NE, AFTER I asked the home office why one store can charge 50% more for the same pellet.

My lowe's has had bad pellets (press-to-logs) for 259/ton. So I go to TSC they have Lignetics for 200/ton or Fehl's Lawn Ctr which has Hamers for 215/ton

I have a retired veteran's card and my wife has a dependent card. We both can get the 10% at either Lowes or HD in the Augusta Me market. The manager at the Lowes Augusta will do about anything to make a customer happy. Any time I get told of a bad experience, I always tell them to go back and see the manager. I know he tires hard, and does get rid of employees when they are not nice to customers. When I am shopping in that store, the manager will come to me and ask if there is anything I need help with. Our store has a lot a semi retired people with years of experience in their work areas. Needless to say, I really appreciate having others seniors help with their many years of knowledge. I also have found that they will get some able bodied workers to help when I need something loaded on my truck.

The east coast just had a heavy rain. Some pellets where in transit. Some wrapping is going to leak. And some don't know yet what happens to pellets that are like a sponge.
Some big stores don't have covered storage space for pellets.
Someone has to buy these pellets. I look before I buy, but admit that I keep my mouth shut when I see someone in line picking up a load of pellets that you can clearly see all the bags have expanded.
Last year I was in the big store and talked to someone buying a stove and 4 tons of pellets. I comented that i wish i had storage for 4 tons. The newby told me that he was just going to put them in his back yard and pull the bags out as he needed them. At that point the salesman gave me a stren look. I kept my mouth shut.
That same salesman gives me great service.

I realize that each person has a different view point. I for one could not sit back and let a person be screwed. Remember the next person a salesman like that screws could be you. If everyone sits back and allows it to happen we have things like enron and the last bank crisis. I think if we want to have a vibrant economy where we all prosper then it is our duty to not allow sleazy business practices to continue. Four tons is between 800 and 1000 dollars how would you like to taken for that amount and then have someone publicly state "I watched and did nothing, and then got good treatment for doing so". This is only my opinion, take it for what it worth.

superchips said:
The east coast just had a heavy rain. Some pellets where in transit. Some wrapping is going to leak. And some don't know yet what happens to pellets that are like a sponge.
Some big stores don't have covered storage space for pellets.
Someone has to buy these pellets. I look before I buy, but admit that I keep my mouth shut when I see someone in line picking up a load of pellets that you can clearly see all the bags have expanded.
Last year I was in the big store and talked to someone buying a stove and 4 tons of pellets. I comented that i wish i had storage for 4 tons. The newby told me that he was just going to put them in his back yard and pull the bags out as he needed them. At that point the salesman gave me a stren look. I kept my mouth shut.
That same salesman gives me great service.

Nice. With friends like you.....

save$ said:
I have a retired veteran's card and my wife has a dependent card. We both can get the 10% at either Lowes or HD in the Augusta Me market. The manager at the Lowes Augusta will do about anything to make a customer happy. Any time I get told of a bad experience, I always tell them to go back and see the manager. I know he tires hard, and does get rid of employees when they are not nice to customers. When I am shopping in that store, the manager will come to me and ask if there is anything I need help with. Our store has a lot a semi retired people with years of experience in their work areas. Needless to say, I really appreciate having others seniors help with their many years of knowledge. I also have found that they will get some able bodied workers to help when I need something loaded on my truck.

I agree the Lowes in Augusta works with their customers. The same can't be said for HD. I wanted to buy a ton, but can't haul it all at once. They said they would sell me a ton, but then it's my problem. It would sit out in front of the store until I finished hauling it. I decided to buy elsewhere.

tjnamtiw said:
jdempsey said:

X2, an email to Lowe's Corporate also worked for me last year!! No need to argue with the workers!!!

forya said:
My lowe's has had bad pellets (press-to-logs) for 259/ton. So I go to TSC they have Lignetics for 200/ton or Fehl's Lawn Ctr which has Hamers for 215/ton

Hammers have been 265 a ton all season...

http://fehls.com/pages.aspx?id=22

Status
Not open for further replies.