Out and up, or in and up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, it's going to be costly. We've already discussed some rough numbers. I should "break even" after 5 seasons or so, which is fine with me. But some things you can't really put a price on - like being comfortable in your own home during the winter months.

Some things we choose to do to our homes to make them the way we want them to be, I think, can't really be analyzed too deeply in terms of amortization (unless you're trying to "flip" a property)...they're simply "expenditures", rather than "investments". I'm feeling this way particularly at this stage in my life (retired and done moving), when I'm spending a good deal of money on improving my home to get it the way I want it to be with absolutely no intention of ever selling it myself. After they carry me out of here, it'll be my daughter's problem (or more likely the bulk of her inheritance). If it makes you more comfortable in your home, and you're going to live there for a while, and you can afford it, then go for it, even though you may never get a dollar for dollar payback in your account from having done it, you enjoy the satisfaction of having done it and the added comfort it brings to you in your home during the time that you live there. Rick

fossil said:
Some things we choose to do to our homes to make them the way we want them to be, I think, can't really be analyzed too deeply in terms of amortization (unless you're trying to "flip" a property)...they're simply "expenditures", rather than "investments". I'm feeling this way particularly at this stage in my life (retired and done moving), when I'm spending a good deal of money on improving my home to get it the way I want it to be with absolutely no intention of ever selling it myself. After they carry me out of here, it'll be my daughter's problem (or more likely the bulk of her inheritance). If it makes you more comfortable in your home, and you're going to live there for a while, and you can afford it, then go for it, even though you may never get a dollar for dollar payback in your account from having done it, you enjoy the satisfaction of having done it and the added comfort it brings to you in your home during the time that you live there. Rick

+1, well said. Like I said, for me personally, you can't put a price on being warm and comfortable in your own home. I look forward to the first fire.

Pagey said:
. . .
Right now I'm flip flopping between letting the dealer handle the installation or trying to get someone in the family with the requisite carpentry skills to do it. I'm personally going to sleep better at night knowing certified installers did the work. To me, some things are worth paying for. However, I do realize that this belief/attitude will probably leave me broke the rest of my life. But hey, you can't take it with you, right?

Go with whatever will make you comfortable. You have to weigh the cost factor vs. the worry factor against the skill factor. In other words, what can you afford, how much would you worry if you installed it yourself vs. having the pros do it and realizing what you or your relatives are capable of doing in terms of the skills required.

Another issue however that you might need to look into is whether your insurance company has any specific installation requirements. My insurance company didn't bump up my premium, but they did require a professional installation (no DIY job . . . I specifically asked) and they wanted to have the local FD do a final inspection.

firefighterjake said:
Pagey said:
. . .
Right now I'm flip flopping between letting the dealer handle the installation or trying to get someone in the family with the requisite carpentry skills to do it. I'm personally going to sleep better at night knowing certified installers did the work. To me, some things are worth paying for. However, I do realize that this belief/attitude will probably leave me broke the rest of my life. But hey, you can't take it with you, right?

Go with whatever will make you comfortable. You have to weigh the cost factor vs. the worry factor against the skill factor. In other words, what can you afford, how much would you worry if you installed it yourself vs. having the pros do it and realizing what you or your relatives are capable of doing in terms of the skills required.

Another issue however that you might need to look into is whether your insurance company has any specific installation requirements. My insurance company didn't bump up my premium, but they did require a professional installation (no DIY job . . . I specifically asked) and they wanted to have the local FD do a final inspection.

I talked with my agent in her office yesterday. We discussed what needed to be installed, and she gave me a letter stating the requirements. Everything she put on the letter, the dealer had already covered, so I felt good. I think my premium will go up by about 5%. Thanks for the suggestion, though, as I could have easily overlooked talking to my agent!

Also, I'm in a very rural area well outside the city limits. As of yet, we don't have any serious building codes that are overkill. They are slowly be developed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.