Out in the cold...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Caste

Sep 15, 2008
Northern NV
I decided to head down to my local stove shop and ask about a chimney cleaning and inquire a little about new inserts- though I would like to get a used one now after seeing their prices. I found out first that I have a metal fireplace that are similar to a million others installed into track houses in the past couple decades. Most of these newer inserts would not fit my fireplace interior space W26xD14xH16 - front opening wider angle. Additionally, the floor of the fireplace-interior about 6" higher than the hearth top. Am I out of luck finding a used insert to fit this type of fireplace?
Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Quinn

i would think you could do a free standing unit and use the chimminy you allready have would be one way to do it

smokinj said:
i would think you could do a free standing unit and use the chimminy you allready have would be one way to do it

This is what I did. There are not many inserts that are even allowed to exist in these pre-fab fireplaces. I ripped the hole thing out (corner install) and re-use the hole in the ceiling/roof to run my new pipe for the stove.

smokin/zamboni:
That's my thought and my worry. My wife really likes the fireplace w/mantle (holiday feeling) since we lived in L.A. for(-ever it seemed) and this is her first fireplace in many years. That's why I was researching inserts so we can keep the look of the fireplace.

zamboni: did you take out just the fireplace unit or the entire fireplace wall and all? If you removed just the unit, can I see the pic of how/what you did?

Any other ideas out there?
Quinn

Can you post a picture of the current setup? We've had posts where Jotul has given approval for connecting a freestanding stove in front of the ZC Fireplace with a liner. I'm wondering if that is an option here?

Status
Not open for further replies.